Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyofAmaya View Post
    Now if I could just find a play-based preschool that wasn't part of a church... but that's another thread.
    Just chiming in on this. We aren't religious at all (and not Jewish) and our ds attends preschool at a local synagogue. Religion is not really touched on beyond things like playing dreidel, eating apples and honey...I look at it as a very nice world culture introduction. It was just such a great program that I am glad I didn't rule it out b/c of where it was.

Beth

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Just chiming in on this. We aren't religious at all (and not Jewish) and our ds attends preschool at a local synagogue. Religion is not really touched on beyond things like playing dreidel, eating apples and honey...I look at it as a very nice world culture introduction. It was just such a great program that I am glad I didn't rule it out b/c of where it was.

Beth
    One of the most popular programs in our area is the local Jewish Community Center preschool/daycare program. I might even consider sending DD there for after school care when she is in elementary school. I actually only know one child who is half Jewish who goes there, every one is either non religious or Christian.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This is all very interesting! I had no idea Waldorf philosophies were so stringent. I met a Waldorf teacher, she is the daughter of one of the Sunday School teachers at my church. We had a great convo about Waldorf, and she was telling me about the Waldorf schools nearest us, but she never mentioned any of the stuff I'm seeing here (probably not surprising).
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Now if I could just find a play-based preschool that wasn't part of a church... but that's another thread.
    That is very difficult here too. Very difficult.

But I would also try the JCC in your area. They tend to have strong programs and often not much religious teaching at a young age, and your child would gain some understanding for the cultural aspects of some of their practices. (as a child I went to catholic school, but my parents sent me to the JCC for preschool).

As other have said you might check for a Reggio- inspired preschool, though the only one in our area is also at a church program. Here is a list of area coordinators that are the best way to find a school affiliated with the NAREA. Just email the coordinator closest to you.

http://www.reggioalliance.org/member...rs/current.php
    Last edited by kayte; 09-25-2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Mom to Arwen (1/06), and two geriatric chihuahuas

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    This is all very interesting! I had no idea Waldorf philosophies were so stringent. I met a Waldorf teacher, she is the daughter of one of the Sunday School teachers at my church. We had a great convo about Waldorf, and she was telling me about the Waldorf schools nearest us, but she never mentioned any of the stuff I'm seeing here (probably not surprising).
    The depth of the practice of Anthroposophy varies widely from school to school and from community to community.
    Mom to Arwen (1/06), and two geriatric chihuahuas

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Chaunacey-- good luck with a school choice for Amaya, however honestly 10 kids ranging from 3 to 6 just doesn't seem like enough kids for a class to have a fair amount of diversity, which I think is key in mind to education.
    When I thought back about this, I realized that all the children could be mistaken for siblings..... my daughter too. I also realized I was the only parent offered an application on the way out the door.

I haven't been able to find any Reggio-inspired schools in our area. My husband likes to stay that "we are often still draggin our knuckles" here in Texas. I will send an email to make sure I'm not missing something. Thank you for the link Kayte.

As for church-based preschools. DH and his family are Christian. He was traumatized by fundamentalist Christian private schools during his childhood. He would probably have less of a problem with a JCC program. I will look into that. They do have a huge JCC "campus" here.
    Last edited by MommyofAmaya; 09-25-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When I thought back about this, I realized that all the children could be mistaken for siblings..... my daughter too. I also realized I was the only parent offered an application on the way out the door.
    This would be a red flag for me!

We noticed the lack of diversity too, and I'm not just talking about race/culture. Everyone at our Waldorf dressed the same, drove the same cars, was from the same socioeconomic background, the parents all seemed to be the same age, etc. I want my kids to see lots of different types of families.
    Laurel

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Try and see if there is a Methodist or Episcopal preschool near you. I went to an Episcopal one and am Catholic and even though I was 4 and didn't have a great memory there was very little if any emphasis on religion there, probably just at Christmas, and maybe Easter, and we celebrated Halloween. Same now with DD's preschool which is at a local Disciples of Christ church and no where on the school's webpage does it state that there will be an emphasis on religion at the school.
    http://www.pvacc.com/PVACC%20Nursery%20School.htm

I noticed the same thing too about the lack of diversity at the Waldorf Faire we went to last year. It was mostly two parent, upper middle class, and almost all white, and Long Beach in general is one of the most racially diverse working middle class cities in the whole state. Loved the crafts, but yes very secular in my honest opinion.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-25-2009 at 05:07 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As for church-based preschools. DH and his family are Christian. He was traumatized by fundamentalist Christian private schools during his childhood. He would probably have less of a problem with a JCC program. I will look into that. They do have a huge JCC "campus" here.
    I just moved back from Houston and there is an amzing program run out of one of the synagogues (reform, I think, so not overly religious). It is called Schlenker. I toured the facility and it was awesome! I am not sure how much emphaisis they put on religion. My DD went to the daycare at the JCC and it was quite Jewish, lots of Hebrew (but we are religious Jews so this worked well). Schlenker seemed less so.

http://www.theshlenkerschool.org/public/pag2.aspx

http://www.theshlenkerschool.org/public/pag38.aspx

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kransden View Post
    As for being anti-semitic, Steiner was just like the majority of Germany at the time. I would be far more concerned about his Anthroposophical ideas which are the basis of Waldorf education.
    Just because Steiner was "one among many" does not make ok, right or justified. It is evil in it's purest form. All those anthroposophical ideas that people are objecting to are rooted in the idea that some people are superior to others. While intelligence and physical attributes/ abilities are not evenly distributed through the population, focusing on them and using them as predictors of a person's (and therefore society's future) leads down the path of unspeakable wrongs against the weakest members of society.
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast