Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Need BTDT tips/advice re: blood draws on kids?

DD (5 1/2 yo) may have blood drawn next monday. Does anyone have any advice on how to prep them? Should we even prep her, or just deal with it as it comes so as to not cause anxiety? Should we bring a favorite toy for distraction? Please advise!
    Many thanks!
    Karen
    dd 12/03

Only my 2 1/2 year old has had blood drawn (several tubes, not just the finger prick for lead). He had his blood drawn at the Children's Hospital and they were very experienced with working with kids. So my guess is that they would know how to distract your DD, although bringing a favorite toy wouldn't hurt. I probably wouldn't prep her too much in advance as to cause too much anxiety.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Some people recommend the EMLA cream that numbs the skin before the stick. It is prescription, I think, but I've heard that there is a similar OTC formulation. My DD had such issues with her last blood draw that if I had to do it again I'd probably try to get some. I also remember seeing this on the BBB at some point:

http://www.needle-pain-management.co...use-buzzy.html

Looks pretty cool and it might be worth it to ask if the place you are taking your DD has one. I also second the advice to take her somewhere that specializes in blood draws for kids, if at all possible.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It really stinks. I over "prepped" DD last time, and by the time we got into the lab, she was a wreck. No amount of candy or toys was going to help. We had to have two adults hold her down and one draw the blood. It was beyond terrible.

Make sure you ask for someone with lots of experience drawing from children, who will use the right needle and get it right the first time... and be ready for a scene. Sorry that that is my only advice.
    Laurel

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hold them on your lap, talk cheerfully and positively. Do not let on that you are nervous. Be honest about what's going to happen, but not too honest. Don't prep them more then a few minutes in advance. I find that knowing too far in advance just leads to excess anxiety and stress about it. Follow up with a "Hey, that wasn't too bad! I'm really proud of you, buddy!". Kids are tough and fairly resilient.

This has worked well for my kids for occasional blood draws. They are looking to you for cues, fake it if you have to!
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS1 gets them regularly (at least a few times a year). I'm honestly not sure what works... but when I take him, he's fine. He was sitting in the chair by himself at age 4, as long as it was an appropriately sized chair.

We call them "pokes". He knows they're taking blood, and that the doctor needs some to check it and make sure that his body is doing well, or that the medicine is working, or so one. He knows it hurts, but only for a few seconds. (The truth, as long as it's done well: I've had enough myself.) I know I worked to distract him from looking the first several times, but he seems to be able to look without problem. (I feel faint if I watch when I have blood drawn!)

He also knows where any office we've taken him to keeps the sticker/lollipop stash, so that might help as well.

He has gone through phases when he screams and needs to be held down if DH takes him. So, there's something going on there... not sure if it's just that having mommy there is more settling for him or what. It's actually not the location, since we've gone to a few different labs.

Oh, and though he's good with blood draws, the kindergarten shots were filled with him screaming bloody murder. So, it doesn't work for everything...
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

Quote Originally Posted by kep View Post
    Hold them on your lap, talk cheerfully and positively. Do not let on that you are nervous. Be honest about what's going to happen, but not too honest. Don't prep them more then a few minutes in advance. I find that knowing too far in advance just leads to excess anxiety and stress about it. Follow up with a "Hey, that wasn't too bad! I'm really proud of you, buddy!". Kids are tough and fairly resilient.

This has worked well for my kids for occasional blood draws. They are looking to you for cues, fake it if you have to!

DC will take cues from you so if you don't overemphasize/discuss, it won't be a big deal. My kids did *awesome* with blood draws and I'm needle phobic.

I did hold them in my lap and talk about or show something interesting to help distract from the poke. I think it was a hand glove balloon.

This method works well for the dentist too. I was so stressed thinking they'd hate it and they did great.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

If you can, go to a children's hospital. This makes all the difference in the world. DD gets blood drawn anywhere from once a week to bi-monthly. The first time we took her the lab in town and they poked the maximum number of times without success. It was awful. At Children's they've never had to poke a second time. They are super quick, and if it wasn't for the 5 vials of blood they have to draw it would only take seconds. We no longer have to deal with crying and DD knows it's not that bad. Even if means having to drive 30 minutes vs 3, it's entirely worth it.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Go to a Children's Hospital if possible. Our girls have had numerous blood draws at Childrens here and its a complete gong show, even with techs who work exclusively with children. No amount of prep helps.

Frankly, I make DH do it. For one, I'm not strong enough to hold either of them when they are completely mental like they get for blood draws. Secondly, I figure its payback for the whole PGy/c/s experience -- its his turn to step up for something unpleasant related to parenting!

Our Children's gives out little beanie babies if the experience is particularly horrific. I would suggest taking something special as a reward for after.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with not talking about it before getting to the office. We find it easier to have DC lying down on a bed while DH or I lean close to chat and distract. We've never had a bad blood draw experience as far as incompetent staff and we've been all over so chances are it should go well for you. Just remain upbeat and calm - DC can smell fear and anxiety!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast