Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default UPDATE: Made half a decision...So torn over vaxing DD for H1N1

I read some of the links and talked to my ped and have come to the following decision: DD will get the H1N1 flu shot. I put my ped on the spot and asked him, "If you had to choose one, which one would you get?" He thought about it and said, for a child, he would get H1N1 over the seasonal flu because there is no way the child has any resistance to H1N1 since it is so new. There is a possibility of children (not infants) having some natural resistance to seasonal flu because of past years exposure.

I still have not decided if DD will get the seasonal. IM non-medical O, the seasonal flu is more of a crap shoot because they never really know if the vax is a good for that season's flu until flu season is underway. With H1N1, the virus showed up last summer, so they know what it looks like. The whole thing makes me nervous.

As an aside, my ped told me that the medical community (CDC?) is re-thinking the "kids need two H1N1 shots." They may be fine with one. Apparently in was in the NEJofM.
    ====================================
    I did selective vaxing. DD had one flu shot 2 years ago, but I never went back for the second. For this year, to be fully "covered" according to CDC guidelines, DD need 2 seasonal flu shots and 2 H1N1 flu shots. I can get seasonal flu now as it is available at my ped, but I am so torn. The difference between now and then was that DD goes to daycare now (on a college campus!; commuter school) and back then I was home with her full time. Oh what to do?!?! My fear is that the effects of the vax will be worse than the virus and it may not offer her much protection anyway; but my greater fear is that if my DD gets it, she'll die. WWYD? DD is 2 and has no underlying medical conditions. In general, she is not a sick kid. She's been in daycare since June and has only brought home one cold.
    Last edited by ha98ed14; 10-01-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Update
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You may not need to decide. It seems like there is going to be an undersupply and to the extent it can be distributed rationally, we were told it was pregnant women then kids under 1 then health care workers then kids under 4. It is anyone's guess if the supply will hold through kids under 4. If you are even thinking about it, I would put yourself on a call list at your pedi's office for when the vax comes in.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

and I wish my ped would do a call list but they refuse. They are actually mean when you call up to ask about it. I have 2 children that get sick ALL THE TIME and I want to make sure they are going to be able to get the vax.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was just coming here to ask about this. My girls have an appt. to get the seasonal flu shot on Friday, as my 3 yr. old has always gotten one and I got one last year when pregnant w/ my 10 mos. old. But I've been researching both the seasonal shot and the H1N1 shot and now I'm not so sure about either, but especially the H1N1. I've read that it has a high amount of mercury, which has been linked to autism in vaccines in the past. I'm also unsure because they know nothing about the extent of side effects it could have.

I am a SAHM with my two girls but we do frequent playdates both in public places (Chuck E Cheese, Bounce Houses, etc.) and homes, as well as church and the girls are always with me when I'm out shopping and running errands. So although they are not in daycare or preschool, they still are out and about where germs and sick people could be. My toddler rarely gets sick, though she did get a nasty virus last year and the baby was sick on and off all winter.

Anyone else deciding not to do either flue shots and if so, what is your reasoning?

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I spent my clinical days last week in nurse treatment so I got to ask about the vax. From what I was told, H1N1 is considered to be "the seasonal flu" this season for people about 55ish and younger. The elderly are actually showing some immunity due to the similarity with the 1917 virus which spent a few decades mutating. The look on the 70+ woman's face when she was told that she wasn't a priority for the vacination was pretty priceless.

If I was only going to chose one for my children, it would be the H1N1. But part of that is because I can't afford to miss school staying home with them and if I have "the symptoms", I'm automatically out of school for a minimum of 7 days. That could sink the whole quarter.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Anyone else deciding not to do either flue shots and if so, what is your reasoning?
    I had an appointment this weekend to do seasonal flu shots for all 4 kids. I canceled the appointment. The nurse didn't urge me to reconsider. After all, the seasonal flu peaks here in January and February so I have a little more time to think about it. But after reading how painful H1N1 is, I think I"ll get that shot for our kids when it arrives which according to the ped should be middle of October. The twins are so little and I'm worried about our boys bringing it home to them. I just think they would really, really suffer from it. There have been a LOT of cases of it around here lately and it would be so easy for them to catch it. It scares me more than the vax itself. jmho
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

All of us except DH get the seasonal flu shot/mist and will again this year. The more I read about H1N1..the more I am now leaning towards getting the vaccine. It's outright confusing and I am concerned about the vaccine but I am also pretty darn concerned about the illness. Have to talk with my doc still about it.

Like the OP, my kids are in daycare at a campus school and I'm teaching the population that is supposedly least immune - college kids - so we will be getting the H1N1. We usually get the seasonal flu shot, and I think we will again this year. But I feel pretty comfortable with the research regarding mercury and vaccines.

I'm worried about my sister who is due in Nov. 5 of the students in her seminar have gotten H1N1. She doesn't have any underlying conditions, like gestational diabetes and hopefully it will stay that way. I keep telling her to switch her class to an online-only mode!
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

I am doing both shots. Our DC recieved the flu shots last week. DS1 will have the second flu shot about the time the H1N1 should be available. Our Ped gives any child under 36 months the thimerosol free vaccines. I believe someone posted a link to Dr. Sears website about giving both shots to children. He said that children who need the four shots should space them out in 3 months.

Ok found the link

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccine...ved-by-fda.asp

from
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...ght=Sears+H1N1
    Last edited by BabyMine; 09-29-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

My decisions keep changing but currently I'm thinking of skipping the seasonal flu shot and getting the H1N1 if it becomes available. Though with the shortage, I'm not sure if anyone in our family will be able to get it since DS2 is the only one that falls into one of the category listed above, but he has an egg allergy so probably no shot for him anyway. If there is even any supply left, I wonder if they will give it to DS1 given that DS2 also has asthma.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast