Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by longamkl View Post
    BeachBum, I'll be anxious to hear how your cruise goes. We are going on a vacation at the end of November - I completely get wanting to reconnect with my husband. But I am worried about the flight (5 hours) and the condo where we will stay - babyproofing issues, sleep adjustment issues etc. It may not be much of a vacation at all. I'm picturing lots of time sitting on our balcony while the babies are sleeping too!
    We just came back from our first vacation with the girls. I don't know how old your little ones are, but for us it was a LOT of work. We had fun, but my dreams (hallucinations?) of it being a nice relaxing vay-cay were dashed. The biggest problem we had was trying to do things around the girls' nap schedule. They are morning nappers at home. So we'd wake up, do our regular routine (dress, breakfast, mom & dad get ready) and it would be naptime. We would put them in the car and they'd nap for 20 minutes or so, as we drove to whatever destination we had picked. That just wasn't enough for them. So in the afternoon when we were having lunch (in a restaurant), we'd have a meltdown. We couldn't really let them have their morning nap, or else we would have spent the entire day in the hotel room. One problem, which was poor planning on my part, was the hotel was a little far away from the attractions we wanted to go to. We should have picked one where we could walk back when the girls got tired in the afternoon, and we could have made lunch in the kitchen. Again, bad planning on my part.

They actually slept pretty well at night. And babyproofing wasn't a problem, we just kept an eye on them (much easier when there are two of us, rather than just me like at home since I'm a SAHM). And it really was fun. We were in Amish country, and the girls liked seeing the animals etc. It's fun to watch them see new things.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Thanks BeachBum for reporting back. Mine will be about the same age when we go - 14 months. I don't have any grand plans about seeing attractions but I would like to make it to the beach (hopefully daily). We will be gone 12 days. We will be able to take most meals in our condo but it would be nice to eat out a couple of times. We are still at two naps a day here (and they are very necessary) but maybe by then we'll be at one nap a day.

I'm glad to hear that at the end of the day you had fun although it wasn't the relaxing vacation you had dreamed of.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went to Grand Cayman when the girls were right at 12 months. We were in a house on the beach, but we were with family. The beach where the house was wasn't great, so we did drive to another beach a couple times. We also went out to dinner once or twice.

We had a great time. We rented a crib so the girls napped there. (The house also had high chairs). We hung out at the house a lot though, other than going down to the other beach. We also had a lot of family there, so that helped! It was a very low key vacation - we didn't set our sights high!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A couple days ago I overheard DD1 tell DD2, "It's fun to be different sometimes."

SO I am getting through to them!

Hello ladies! I was hoping you wonderful ladies might be able to tell me what you think could be wrong with E or if it's completely normal. I'm a first time mom so bare with me please.

The boys are a little over 3 months old. K is a really laid back baby and usually if he is upset he truly has a reason to be. He typically isn't cranky to be cranky. Now E seems to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. Which is really trying for me. My husband is out of work so he is currently a stay at home dad until he finds employment. So according to my husband the boys typically do awesome all day long but around 4-5ish E starts getting cranky and nothing seems to calm him down unless you are holding him and even then he can be cranky. Which I am off work on the weekend so I can attest the boys are pretty happy babies during the day. I usually get home around 5:15 M-F. So basically from the time I get home till we go to bed we are dealing with a cranky little boy. Now it's not non-stop and sometime you can actually put him down but more often then not someone has to be consoleing him. He is on medicine for reflux but I assume his crankiness has nothing to do with it since he seems to be getting cranky during the same time of day.

Anyways, this has been going on for awhile now and I don't know what to make of it. I'm not sure if their is something wrong or if that is just E.

What do you ladies think? Do you think something is wrong or is he just a needy baby? Or colic?

Sounds normal to me. Both of my girls were like that. They weren't very consolable, I often felt they would be crying and fussing the same whether I held them or not. I called it "colic" but they were pretty needy all the time and fussy. Definitely got worse in late afternoon/evening. I have heard that colic doesn't officially hit until 2-3 months so that may be what you are facing. I don't think it's something to be worried about, just worry about the stress of dealing with it. It is definitely hard.

Quote Originally Posted by k_null81 View Post

What do you ladies think? Do you think something is wrong or is he just a needy baby? Or colic?
    That sounds a lot like my DD when she hit about 3 months. And I recall it lasting until 6 months or so, and then it miraculously faded away. I think that's the traditional timeframe for colic.

The nice thing is, two years later, it took me awhile to remember exactly which twin it was that had that issue. Aaaaah, amnesia!
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

Thank you ladies! I had another question. Were your babies like that all night long? Because once we put E to bed for the night which is around 10ish we usually only have to check on him 2 or 3 times within 30 minutes of putting him down for the night trying to soothe him to sleep. Once he is finally asleep which is usually before 11. Both boys have been sleeping till 6-6:30 but this has only been going on for about 2 weeks so I don't want to get to excited yet. Especially since E woke up at 4 this morning. Prior to them sleeping till 6ish E would wake up to be fed around 4ish and of course since we are trying to keep them on a schedule we wake up K to feed him after E. I swear I think K would sleep forever if we let him

So I guess my question is if it's colic would he be sleeping that good at night?

Quote Originally Posted by k_null81 View Post
    So I guess my question is if it's colic would he be sleeping that good at night?
    My DD slept like a little log as a baby. In my experience, how she was in the evening had no effect on her night sleep.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

When my girls were in the real stage I felt was colic, it would be hard to get them down for bed. They wouldn't settle till after 11 or so. And they weren't sleeping through the night really until about 1 so there was still a lot of night waking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast