Thread: 5 ft gate

Default 5 ft gate

This is a question for people who have a wide area that they blocked off. We have a 5-ft opening that we have a gate for. I installed the gate using wall anchors so the brackets are fairly secure. I'm not sure why, but the gate itself seems to move back and forth a bit when i try to see how sturdy it is. I don't know if this is because it's a 5-ft gate and doesn't have a middle support anchor. when you have a long gate like that, is it ok for the gate to give a little when pressure is applied to it (or when DS pushes against it)? This is our main gate and it's blocking off 2 sets of stairs.

I don't know if you are still reading this, since your post is a few weeks old...

I haven't had much luck blocking off any opening much bigger than a doorway, for the reasons you're describing. Our old house had a big opening, and our new house has a 12 foot opening that I've blocked off. I'm using a Summer extendable gate, but can only anchor it on one side because there are only staircase spindles on the other side. (I've got it secured around the spindle with velcro loops on that side) Fortunately, it really only serves to keep the dog off the carpet/keep DD#2 contained for a minute while I run to the bathroom. I think I would also try to individually block off the staircases if possible, if I were in your situation.
    Catherine

Mom to:
    DD#1 3/07
    DD#2 10/08

and "Bonus Mom" to:
    DSD
    DSS#1
    DSS #2