bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What's the most breastfeeding friendly carrier/wrap?

Bf is finally working and I'd like to be able to walk around and get stuff done at the same time. But I'd like one that holds LO VERY snuggly, as she wiggles a LOT and I need something to keep her latched on me tight so it doesn't hurt too much. Which ones would I be able to nurse her in (in a cradle position)? I'd also like to be able to use it to hold her facing-out sometimes. Which would be best? And which would be not so complicated to get on (and fast!)--and not too hot, if that's possible, too.

TIA!

And would BRU carry any of these so I can try them out first? They're the only baby store in town...

ETA: LO is about 3.5 months

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I had the easiest time nursing in a cradle hold in my ring slings, because they are infinitely adjustable, kwim? I used my Maya for nursing in a cradle hold. I'm not sure if that would be snug enough for what you are looking for. Once they have good head control you can face them out, but a maya isn't going to give a lot of head control for facing out with a 3.5 month old most likely.

I never had a ton of luck nursing in a moby or wrap but maybe others have had good luck with that. I have a Baby K'tan to try out with baby #3 but haven't gotten to try that with a nursing newborn yet. You can do a cradle hold and have baby facing out w/ the K'tan, but I'm not sure if it would be as adjustable to have baby at *just* the right height (like you can do with a ring sling). There's also the stretch factor...great for holding them in and snug, but you may find that as the wrap or K'tan starts stretching out after a few mins/hours of wearing it may have her too low, kwim?
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I never tried the Maya or any ring sling although I wanted to. I also wanted to have a carrier to use while nursing that would go on and off easily. I don't think anything like that exists though! I watched the Maya videos and the adjustments needed to go from nursing to just holding were not so easy.
    The moby did work for me. It doesn't come on and off easily but by untieing it, looseing it and then retieing (how do you spell retie???) I could bounce DS down to nurse.
    Now we just use the Ergo. I can nurse in that pretty easily and have been able to for about 2+ months. You cannot face out in that though and it's harder to nurse in the cradle position IMO.
    It sould like a sling would work the best for you. But for me, the only way I have been able to use a sling is for the 5 months+ set in a hip carry. ( I am not a babywearing pro.)
    DD
    DS