Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diaper bags

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Diaper bags

Please tell me about your diaper bag and why you love it (or hate it). I am just starting the shopping (browsing, really) process.
    Last edited by TwoBees; 08-26-2009 at 12:11 PM.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have two.......my large diaper bag is a vera bradley (the old version).....love it because it is totally machiene washable, has four outside pockets (one holds the changing pad, two on the ends for bottles, one small in front), and three inside pockets and a zipper....I really like the bag and don't have any complaints about it!!

My smaller is a eddie bauer, small messenger type bag I got for DH (turns out he really doesn't care what the bag looks like).....but it's handy for quick trips, like going to the ped and has some nice "mommy" pockets......
    Looking back I would not have gotten the eddie bauer bag.......we really don't use it that much and once you put a few diapers in, travel wipes, and a spare onsie it's pretty full......I probably would have picked something different for the "small, quick trip, bag.."...
    I also have a skiphop diaper/wipe holder....and that's pretty much what I use now that DD is older...holds two diapers, travel wipes, and has a smal changing pad....I just toss it in my purse/car/stroller and we're set for an emergency change......

Good luck!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Our main diaper bag was the all black Eddie Bauer messenger bag from Babies R Us/Target. It's not stylish, but it was very light when it was full of stuff. The photo doesn't show a shoulder strap, but ours had one. DH picked it out.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...Name+Secondary

Seeing that I live in uber trendy SoCal (and the land of $$$$ diaper bags) I wanted to carry something besides the Eddie Bauer bag for times where I was someplace nice like the mall or a restaurant and wanted something that didn't scream diaper bag, but was still trendy so I got a black Seat Belt Bag executive tote and it worked out really well for times like that when I didn't need to have everything under the sun in the bag (a bottle or cup of warm water, extra formula, a bib, a diaper and a change of clothing). It's a great bag, really well made, made in the USA (actually local to me), and it's great now for travelling and most of the time I use it as my main travel bag as it easily fits my wallet, a sippy cup, my water bottle, a magazine or book, and DD's blanket. It also fits nicely underneath the airplane seat! I would definitely check out the messenger bag though because it now has a full shoulder strap, but that bag wasn't out yet when I bought the bag in 2006.
    http://www.seatbeltbags.com/executive-tote-zip.html
    http://www.seatbeltbags.com/messenger.html

A friend of mine who had a few more diaper bags than she cares to admit finally admitted that she likes her Kate Spade diaper back pack bag more than the others she has bought over the years.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I have the inexpensive backpack diaper bag from BRU.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2748208

I knew I wanted a backpack. Bags always slip off my shoulders and I'm constantly wrestling with purses, so I wanted something that would free up my hands to hold baby. This definitely fits the bill for that.

I also would have loved something decorative and pretty, but realistically knew there would be plenty of times I'd want DH to carry the bag. Although he's incredibly helpful, he'd be hesitant to carry around a bunch of pink flowers, etc. So, this is boring black, but he doesn't mind carrying it, it goes with everything and I don't have to worry about it getting dirty.

The pockets allow me to stay pretty organized, and I love that the large pocket unzips all the way so it's easy to see what's in there. It came with a changing pad, which also holds diapers & wipes, so that's easy to grab.

So yes, I often think of something prettier, but this is incredibly functional and works well for us. I'm glad I have it and would recommend it to anyone.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have 3 diaper bags: (i) expensive Kate Spade messenger diaper bag, (ii) dragon Diaper Dude and (iii) Baby Sherpa. The Diaper Dude gets the most use by far. Easy to sling around (messenger type bag), lots of pockets and just the right size for slinging it over a stroller. The Baby Sherpa is awesome too. We use it for daytrips or traveling. It has cooler compartments, diaper changer, tons of pockets, mesh for jackets or blankets and is super comfy to wear. It is my only carry-on when I travel with the kids. The Kate Spade one is gathering dust in a closet.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Lands' End Little Tripper is my go-to bag. I hate big bags and would never carry one unless I was going on some crazy outing where I wouldn't have access to anything. Honestly, what's going to happen in the 40 minutes that I'm in Target that I'd be lost without the contents of my nursery? But, I am a small purse kind of person. A friend once laid it out like that- are you a big purse or small purse person? That answer should be kept in mind as you choose. You aren't going to suddenly become one or the other if you have preferences from the start, imo.

I like the LE Little Tripper b/c the outside pocket holds my cell phone, wallet and keys. The inside pocket holds all the stuff I need for the kids. And it has drink pockets on the side, which are handy even though I did not bottle feed. I used them for my water or ds2's sippy cup when he got older.

Beth

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I registered for a red one at BRU, but someone gave me a brown Carters one. It's okay. I like the pockets on the sides. I lost the changing pad the first week (left at OBGYN's bathroom during c-sect incision check!), but replaced it with the Amy Coe wipes pod which snaps around the bag and fits nicely in a side pocket. I stuff bounty paper towel napkins in one pocket and plastic bags for backseat/changing room diaper disposal. I also put my diet cokes in there.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Lands' End Little Tripper is my go-to bag. I hate big bags and would never carry one unless I was going on some crazy outing where I wouldn't have access to anything. Honestly, what's going to happen in the 40 minutes that I'm in Target that I'd be lost without the contents of my nursery? But, I am a small purse kind of person. A friend once laid it out like that- are you a big purse or small purse person? That answer should be kept in mind as you choose. You aren't going to suddenly become one or the other if you have preferences from the start, imo.

I like the LE Little Tripper b/c the outside pocket holds my cell phone, wallet and keys. The inside pocket holds all the stuff I need for the kids. And it has drink pockets on the side, which are handy even though I did not bottle feed. I used them for my water or ds2's sippy cup when he got older.

Beth
    I started w/ a Skip Hop duo but my LE Little Tripper gets daily use now.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Oh, and something like a Diapees/ Wipees is so darned useful so you can quicjly grab all your diapering supplies at once. I keep 2 diapers, a baggie of about 6 wipes, and a disposable changing pad in mine. http://www.diapeesandwipees.com/

Or, the First Years' Fold and Go changing pad (changing pad with pockets for your diapering needs).

Beth

I have a JuJuBe Packabe and LOVE it! With my preschooler and newborn, I love the fact that I can wear it as a backpack and have my hands free for everything else. It has a light interior, which allows me to see the contents inside. I had a Skip Hop Dash with DS1 and hated the black interior. The Packabe is so pretty that I've gotten several compliments on it already. I'm usually not a girly-girl and am normally very practical, but after carrying around my boring red Dash, I was ready for a change and am so glad I did, LOL! Can't say enough good things about my JJB!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast