Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My mother came for the delivery, and the five days after, then left for a few days (four, I think?), and came back for three more weeks.

I needed the help very badly; we were having serious breastfeeding supply issues and latch problems. DS went from 8lbs 15 oz to 7lb 4oz at the worst point... I could never have done it myself. If my mother wasn't such aa breastfeeding expert, I don't know how we would have gotten through it.

And, of course, when I was scared and depressed, there's nothing like having Mommy make you comfort food from your childhood...

My mom (she lives in another country) came 2 weeks before my due date and stayed for 4 months after DS was born.My husband and I would have loved to have her longer. It was the best 6 months of our life. With both of us working, it was heaven sent to have a hot breakfast and hot dinner ready everyday and the whole evening left to just play and relax with the baby. My only job was to feed the baby and do laundry, my mom cooked and took care of the baby during the day and my husband cleaned the house and took care of the yard.

Especially with feeding troubles (my supply and baby's latch) I couldn't have done it without my mother. She knew exactly how to increase my supply naturally and how to adjust the latch.

And once my mom left, we had my MIL over for another 4 months. She is the most amazing cook in the world and we still have frozen dinners that she made and froze a whole 5 months after she left.

So yes, if you have a good relationship with your mohter, I think you should have her over. I never had to go without atleast 6 hours of sleep because there were 3 of us to care for the baby every day.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My mom lived close to us when T was born and she hung out during the day and helped a lot.

When F was born last year, my mom was staying with us long term because she had just had major heart surgery necessitated by her lung cancer. It was wonderful to have her close but we were caring for her and the baby, not getting help. She died when he was 6 months old so I am glad we had that time. Even though she was not help per se, it was an emotional help to spend time with her and see her with the new baby. It was precious time.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

my mom was here a week before DS was born and stayed until 3 weeks after he was born. She made sure I ate well, kept the kitchen clean, helped with laundry and other cleaning things. That allowed DH and me to have plenty of time to bond with DS and catch up on sleep. His parents came to visit 1 month after DS was born for a week.

I am an only child. DS will be her only grandchild, part of having her here was to make sure she had lots of time to bond with him herself. That was important to me. I understand not wanting people to interfere, but I am very close to my mother and wanted that experience for her.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When DS was born we were living with my parents and grandmother. Our house was being gutted and we could not stay there with a new baby. We were there for 3 months. HOWEVER, my mother did laundry and cooking and shopping. That's it. She did nothing for me and for DS unless I asked--I did ask at times and she did help (she didn't want to step on my toes as a new mom).

When DD was born she could not be here. Then my grandmother died when DD was 9 days old and my mom came back here (obviously for the funeral etc...and stayed with us b/c by then my parents had divorced). she stayed 2 weeks and did help with DD and DS.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4