Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default how to keep nursery furniture from getting soiled during changing time?

sorry for the lame-sounding thread title, i wasn't sure exactly how to word my question. thing is, i'm expecting my first baby in a few months (baby boy) and i am busy setting up the nursery right now. i recently got this gorgeous changing table / shelving system from Pottery Barn Kids, which i absolutely adore (link is below)

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...m_ite=Datafeed

since this changing table/shelving system is pretty big it comes with things to attach to the wall (which we haven't done yet). the problem is that now my DH is worried that this system is going to be very impractical, because he says that during changing time, the baby will likely end up spraying pee (or worse!) all over everything (including the wall), and therefore he will always be having to move the entire thing (it is pretty heavy) away from the wall to clean it. anyway, the thought of this never crossed my mind, but now it's starting to really bother me. i was all excited about this piece of furniture and now i'm sort of bummed now after realizing this. i spent a lot of $$ on this and so i'd really hate to have it end up being a source of constant annoyance and grief.

anyway, so i just wanted to ask those of you with baby boys (and with similar changing tables or furniture pieces)..what is your experience with this? is this really a big deal? do boys "spray" a lot during changing time..and how did you keep them from soiling your furniture, etc during changing? i keep thinking of that commercial with that dad changing the baby boy who ends up spraying over all the coats etc at a dinner party..(lol)

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That is very pretty furniture!

Buy some of those cheap thin baby washcloths and throw one over DS' parts whenever they are exposed during changes. And know that those messy changes/leaks/blowouts really don't last long. And be sure to tether all that furniture to the wall before your DS can climb!

GL!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by srhs View Post

Buy some of those cheap thin baby washcloths and throw one over DS' parts whenever they are exposed during changes. And know that those messy changes/leaks/blowouts really don't last long. And be sure to tether all that furniture to the wall before your DS can climb!

GL!
    to all of it.

We didn't bother taking ds up to his room during the day for diaper changes until he was like 4+ months. Until then he spent his daytime downstairs sleeping in a Pack N Play bassinet or bouncy seat. Diaper changes took places in the PnP. A few messes that needed to be cleaned but no big deal. You catch on pretty quickly about having a cloth diaper or something similar close by to throw over him while you are doing the changes. I'm sure your furniture will be fine. Remember, you did buy it to use it. If you really don't want to use it for it's purpose then maybe it would be good to look for an alternative. Babies are messy. No matter how organized you are there is going to be some mess involved. It doesn't have to be horrible though.

You could always just roll up some towels or cloth diapers and shove them between the changing table and wall so that it catches there rather than getting behind the unit.

Do tether as soon as you can though.

Beth

Washcloth over the privates as they had suggested above. It's a must!!
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by srhs View Post

GL!

And, in 3 kids, we have had only a dozen or so sprays and only 1 big mess. It's not like it's going to happen every other time.
    Kris

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Chances are your DS's sprays will not reach the furniture. And if they eventually do, you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth and a little soap and water. No biggie at all. I wouldn't even consider moving it away from the wall.
    DD
    DS

DS sprayed a lot early on, but only hit the wall once or twice IIRC. Once he hit DH who then had to change before going to work For some reason, he did it much more often when DH was doing the changing. I don't think he ever hit the actual furniture (though our model doesn't have a backboard like yours does). We just wiped the wall down - there's no lasting evidence. Boy-spray does not go nearly as far as the ad you're referring to - so don't worry so much! I don't think DS has sprayed at all since turning 1, or maybe even earlier. We have also gotten a LOT better at anticipating it, and moving in with a baby washcloth (we keep them in the top drawer) or a wipe. You get pretty good at it. You also become much more desensitized to *mess* in general after becoming a parent
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

I completely agree about the washcloth thing although if you are looking for something else then I would suggest these: Pee Pee Teepee

My mom bought these for us right before our son was born and told us that we would use them. I thought they were cute, but ridiculous... We got so much use out of them though. They aren't bulky like a washcloth and we LOVED them.
    ~Elle

DS1: 10/08 (the “tenager”)
    DS2: 07/18 (the wild one)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks everyone for the responses, i feel better about this now. the rolling up towels idea makes a lot of sense, we will try that. also will try putting a washcloth over his "parts" when changing. and yeah i figure the changing table furniture will get dirty, i guess i wasn't so much worried about the furniture itself getting soiled, i was just worried about the walls etc getting soiled and the hassle of having to move the unit to clean the walls. but the more i think about it i guess it won't be that big of a problem if i'm just a little careful when changing him, etc.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd put something up to cover the wall, for sure. A waterproof lap pad or towel or something. Or even a pretty poster print that you can toss out and replace if you need to (if the sight of a towel tacked onto the wall makes you wanna hurl We had to do that...sometimes baby will sneeze on the changing table and WHOOSH there goes some poop on the wall. Seriously. It got to where whenever baby started going "ahh...ahhh...ahhh" we'd hurry up and cover up before the "chooo!!" But when you're a new parent, it's gonna take a few times before you catch these types of things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast