Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You know, I went to a new parents forum last week where the pediatrician mentioned that boys needed to be covered during diaper changes, I didn't take it too seriously... but now I know! I had no idea...

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have a DS and a DD. I think DS may have sprayed us about 4-5 x and hit the wall once out of those incidents. I'm sure he had some explosive poops but don't remember anything too crazy. DD once hit DH with a projectile poo during a diaper change (oh how glad I am that I missed that) and it got on his clothes and the carpet. So yeah, it happens, but as PPs said...not really a daily event (thankfully!).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by parelle View Post

You know, I went to a new parents forum last week where the pediatrician mentioned that boys needed to be covered during diaper changes, I didn't take it too seriously... but now I know! I had no idea...
    You should take this matter with the utmost seriousness! Once, on a very very bad sleep deprived day I was peed on not once, not twice, but three times in less than 10 minutes... I won't go into the details but needless to say I learned my lesson... I had NO idea a newborn could produce that much pee in such a short amount of time.
    ~Elle

DS1: 10/08 (the “tenager”)
    DS2: 07/18 (the wild one)

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS has only pee'd twice during an actual diaper change and neither time has there been spray (he is un-circ'd, in case that makes any difference). The second time I didn't even realize it until I noticed the changing pad cover was wet.

I did have a poop explosion while changing DD when she was about 10 days old, but it all ended up in my hand.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

We have a pile of cloth diapers as part of our diapering supplies (even though we use disposables). As soon as the diaper is off, the CD goes over the boy parts. We have found that a CD is more absorbent than a washcloth--absorbency is key. He is 5 months old and rarely does that anymore. (At his 4 month WBV, his ped didn't cover b/c "they don't do that at his age". I tried to warn her, then watched the inevitable, and tried not to laugh too hard.)

Btw, our DS also had three episodes of explosive poo that got all over the bookcase (2 feet away), the wall, and grandma. (It was 2 AM, I was in the rocker, rotflmao.) The key to avoiding that is knowing by your DC's actions whether or not they are done. After the first explosive episode, we put a hospital receiving blanket (don't care if it gets stained or not) over the bookcase as a "backstop". Just remember, what he dirties probably is washable somehow, and is really no big deal. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by alexmommy View Post
    We have a pile of cloth diapers as part of our diapering supplies (even though we use disposables). As soon as the diaper is off, the CD goes over the boy parts. We have found that a CD is more absorbent than a washcloth--absorbency is key.
    This is great advice. We use a cloth diaper on top of the sheet on the changing table mattress, and keep more in a box on a shelf just above. They're also great as burp cloths. Mine are Kushies flats from Sears.

My mom is the only one that's experienced the explosive poop (with DS) too! And actually caught it in her hand the 3rd time around. I was sooo lucky to be out of the house
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

DD peed on the changing table sooooo often when she was new. DS was actually much better. Only once did he actually spray something - which happened to be the side of DD's head as she walked by. The rest of the time he just got the changing pad cover wet. I did try to keep a cloth diaper or wipe handy to throw over him.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We've had a number of what we call "free willy" incidents with DS, but mostly when he was very new. The worst and funniest was when he peed while I was lifting his butt up so it went right on his face and in his eye. I felt terrible, but couldn't stop laughing. He seemed unphased, didn't even cry, so it couldn't have hurt him or anything.

The trick I learned was to see if the boy part is standing up. If it is, blow on it, close the diaper, and wait a second. Usually the temperature change makes them pee so if you give it time to adjust you're ok. Things seem to have calmed down now and he's only 4.5 months old.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    We use a cloth diaper on top of the sheet on the changing table mattress, and keep more in a box on a shelf just above. They're also great as burp cloths.
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2