Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Here's how I used Container Store items to organize our Expedit bookcases

Considering that Container Store has another coupon out now, I thought it'd be a good time to share how I organized our Expedit bookcases with their products. (I bought these a few months ago when they had a 25% off coupon, but they just came out with another coupon today for 20% off. Here's that link: http://images.containerstore.com/pdf/octoffer.pdf). I'm attaching some close-up pictures of my bookcases at the end.

First, here are the links to the products that I used:

Sweater Boxes: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...uctId=10003228
    Multi-Purpose Bin: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/o...uctId=10022942
    Accessory Box: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...uctId=10003253

In our black Expedit upstairs, I used the multi-purpose bins to hold the kids' coloring books, activity books, workbooks, etc. I used the accessory boxes to organize their crayons, markers, stickers, and other craft supplies.

I placed one multi-purpose bin next to accessory boxes in the same cubby. You can fit the accessory boxes two deep and can stack them three high for a total of 6 accessory boxes possible next to the bin. (Just so you know, I tried fitting two bins in a cubby next to each other but they don't fit that way.)

Then, I have a lot of homeschooling-type curriculum that I organized in the sweater boxes. I found that two sweater boxes (regular size, not deep) stack on top of each other and perfectly fill in one cube. I then labeled each container with my label maker.

I used the same containers in the playroom's bookcase. There, I used them on the bottom shelf to hold legos, train pieces, playdoh, etc. I found that the deep sweater box fits too but without the lid, so I used that container for big train pieces.

I have never worked for the Container Store, but I have really liked what I bought from there. I have found so many uses for the sweater boxes around the house as well as the multi-purpose bins. I use the bins to store sunscreens, lotions, etc. in the pantry as well as another that holds binders (they fit perfectly). I use them under the kitchen and bathroom sinks to organize cleaning supplies and other bathroom supplies. I also use one in my Sienna and it fits great between the front seats for holding Entertainment books, kleenex, hand sanitizer, diaper wipes, etc. And I use the accessory boxes to organize the boys' top bathroom drawers (with the lids off).

While I'm on the subject of Container Store finds, here's another item that I have been VERY happy with and am going to buy more of so I can have one for DH's lunches--the divided clip-it lunch cube. I've mentioned them on here before--here's that thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...ght=lunch+cube

Another thing I've liked is using the boot box for storing blankets under our bed (one queen or king blanket per box) as well as storing the kids' artwork under our beds. Here's that link: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...uctId=10009590
    The boot box is cheaper than their underbed box and I also like its smaller size.

Hope all these tips help someone! BTW, I should note that we don't have an Ikea in our state so they may offer items that work just as well or better for less. I was lucky enough to find both of our Expedit bookcases on craigslist and have LOVED them!
    Attached Images Attached Images

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Cool. I just picked up a couple of the 15" soft-sided cubes from TCS, but I will look for those multipurpose containers - they seem perfect for my stuff. Thanks for sharing!
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

PERFECT TIMING, thanks! I'm still having that Trofast vs Expedit debate in my head and this really helps!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Awesome! And thanks for the coupon.

Thanks for sharing all the info and the photos! I am a slight organization freak, and lately the "messy" look of DS's toys etc (even though they are in cubes) has been bothering me.

I feel a Container Store run coming on! I might copy your ideas exactly!

Thanks - this is just in time for the Christmas toy purge so I have room for the new toys. I need to organize more.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

Many thanks! It never occurred to me to use multiple smaller containers in one Expedit cube. I too was on a quest for months and months for the perfect containers for Expedit, since I wanted them to be $10 or less. I finally found Sterilite Ultra Storage Baskets in the second to largest size (model 1628, I think), price about $5.50 at Walmart. You can spraypaint them in colors with Krylon Fusion spraypaint, available in decor colors at craft stores or online, or more standard colors at any store.

I got some great ideas from you - including the idea of a blanket in a storage box under the bed, never thought of that. Thanks!
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

don't mean to change the subject, but since you seem to be a TCS expert.... do they have any containors that you would recommend using to store ds's old cloths?

thanks!
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

Just a quick thanks - I ordered some shoe boxes!
    Barbie

Quote Originally Posted by soontobe View Post
    don't mean to change the subject, but since you seem to be a TCS expert.... do they have any containors that you would recommend using to store ds's old cloths?

thanks!
    It depends on the space that you have. For my kids' clothes, I used very large rubbermaid containers that fit on their shelf above their hanging clothes rod. They hold a ton of stuff and were cheap ($5 or less).

But in my closet, I have a smaller area on top of my shoe shelves that would not fit a large container. What I did find was that the Container Store deep sweater boxes fit that space in my closet perfectly. So I'm using those for my out-of-season / too-tight-right-now clothes.

So it depends on your space and how much you're willing to pay. If you want them to be better organized (e.g., fall, spring, summer, winter), then it might work well for you to use the deep sweater boxes so you can have a more specific sorting system. But if you're OK piling lots of clothes in a rubbermaid container, then that's a cheaper way to go.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast