Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My pediatrician just called me back and is switching us to Prilosec. I didn't ask about Prevacid, though... I really hope this one works.

We started DS on Zantac too at around 6weeks. Though it showed some improvement it was shortlived. We increased the dosage but with no effect. The ped switched us to Prvacid and that was better.
    DS - '08

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    My pediatrician just called me back and is switching us to Prilosec. I didn't ask about Prevacid, though... I really hope this one works.
    I hope so too!
    not to be a downer, but here are some things 'they' don't tell you:
    1) the pharmacy rarely makes the prilosec 'right'
    there's a lot about this on infantreflux.org/forum...
    2) dosing is quite often not high enough...
    3) it can take up to 14 days to see full effects of PPI (prilosec, prevacid, nexium, protonix) so if you do not give the zantac, too, while you wait then it's as if baby isn't on any meds at all. you can give the zantac, too, just make sure to space 4hrs from the PPI
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

Laura, thank you for that link! I'm now reading like crazy. The pharmacist did make it wrong the first time, and then ended up sending my husband home with the suspension in one bottle and the flavoring in another (because it wasn't ready/dissolved in time), so hopefully I can mix it up in smaller batches so that we don't have a stability issue... but I'm still reading, so I might be wrong!

see my sig (that's the link)
    personally, what I'd do is order bufferbabies/caracream (all found from link in my sig- from link in my sig look for link to 'prevacid 101' it's about all PPIs, not just prevacid)
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

It sounds like I'd need a new prescription, since this current one is for the suspension, not the capsules; I'll ask my ped about it at the well-baby visit we have on Wednesday. Also, the prescribed dosage seems incredibly low, compared to the Marci Kids site -- it's only 3mg once a day for my 11+ pound baby. Argh, this is frustrating!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2