cindys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Re: Prevnar and Flu vaccine?

My baby (1yr) got a Prevnar and flu vaccine yesterday..

In hindsight I really wish I had not gotten the 2 of them together but its too late now.

Today the baby is fussy but fever free and of course I am freakin because I dont know which could be causing his fussiness.

Do I give him Tylenol if he is fever free?

All the controversary about vaccines has me spinning.

There are so many more than when my 18yr old was a baby and seem to be more than my 3yr old got as well.

Cindy
    Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 1

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I wouldn't do Tylenol. Just ride it out.

http://www.huliq.com/8059/87864/tyle...ccine-children
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Yes, I had seen this study about Tylenol but since this wasnt the H1N1 vaccine I wonder if it still applies to the regular flu vaccine.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It actually wasn't the H1N1 vaccine that they found it with - it was for regular childhood vaccines in general.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Oh yeah, I see that!

Thanks for clarifying

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    I wouldn't do Tylenol. Just ride it out.

http://www.huliq.com/8059/87864/tyle...ccine-children
    Many parents give Tylenol (acetaminophen) after vaccination, including the H1N1 Swine Flu vaccine, to keep the baby from having a fever. However, fever after a vaccine is not always a bad thing and is a natural part of the body's response. Curbing fever, especially the first time a baby gets a vaccine, also seems to curb the immune response and the amount of protective antibodies that are made, the new study found.

They found tylenol after vaccines is not a good thing. I'd say just ride it out. I think body aches is one of the side affects of the flu vaccine in general I think someone (adult) posted the felt pretty crappy after getting the flu vax so I cant imagine there wouldnt be a similar reaction in a child.

Im not sure what the side affects of prevnar ( its not one we do) I'll see if I can find it in some of my saved files.

ETA... found reaction list for prevnar

Call your doctor at once if your child has any of these serious side effects:
    high fever (103 degrees or higher);

seizure (convulsions);

easy bruising or bleeding; or

severe pain, itching, irritation, or skin changes where the shot was given.

Less serious side effects include

mild soreness, redness, swelling, or a hard lump where the shot was given;

weakness, tired feeling;

crying, fussiness;

drowsiness, restless sleep;

low fever (102 degrees or less);

vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite; or

mild skin rash.

LIsted flu vaccine reactions ( seasonal)
    You can experience soreness and/or swelling in your arm after getting a flu shot.

Some people have cold-like symptoms, including sniffles, headache, runny nose, sore throat, cough, and body aches for a day or two after getting the flu shot. In some cases, you may also experience a low-grade fever.
    Last edited by JBaxter; 10-21-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Thanks Jeana!

Like I said earlier in this thread..I just dont know whats the right thing to do..

I am going to get the Vaccine Book by Dr Sears and do some more reading...Since the baby is already a year old not sure how much of a modified vax schedule I can now follow.

Thanks for all the responses!!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We havnt done any yet Jack was 1 yesterday. I was going to start at his one year but he just got an ear infection so bumped his appt back.

We never do flu shots and only do 1 shot at a time. Jack is my 4th and to date no one in my family ever gets flu shots and I think one of my sons had the flu once.

Im 42 and only do vaccines that I had as a child and only one per visit after 1yr old. I kind of made my own schedule an dont cave to the bulling of Dr's or nurses who tell me its "ok" to get multiple shots
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

We got Prevnar & seasonal flu at the same time. We were told one of them would ache and be sore for a few days at the shot location (I think Prevnar). That could be your source of fussiness.