Thread: Winter Sheets

Default Winter Sheets

Are flannel or fleece sheets really necessary in frigid climates? Anyone notice a difference in how well their child sleeps?

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How old's your DC? Does he/she sweat a lot at night?

You could get away with t-shirt/jersey knit sheets (not as heavy as flannel or microfleece, but add a little extra cozy warmth) if DC wears a blanket sleeper or flannel PJ's under a nice weight blanket or comforter.

Personally, I know I'd be sweating under flannel sheets, but love jersey-knit ones for wintertime!

DC is 1 and will be sleeping in footed pjs.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Footies (which is pretty much what I meant by blanket sleepers) are usually warm enough on their own ... no need to upgrade to flannel or microfleece.

If you're still concerned, do the t-shirt knit ones over regular percale for the extra warmth.

A mid-weight comforter should be just fine.

How cold does your house get at night? If it's no cooler than 65, don't worry.

We live in the frozen north, in a barn (not really, but it feels that way), so flannel or fleece sheets are a must for us. They feel much warmer getting into bed and trap body heat better.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

I think DS sleeps best on his chamois sheet from Pottery Barn. I use them year round. They're a bit pricey ($29 for crib sheet, I think) but have seen them at the PB outlet.
    DS#1: 11.06.07
    DS#2: 09.04.09

We use the plush sheets..they're sort of chenille-y. Not as warm as flannel but nice and soft and cozy. I saw the in PB Kids in big bed sizes & i them so much I want them for my bed!!

Depends on how low your heat goes at night and how poorly insulated your house is And of course there are those lovely days/nights when you keep the heat on its highest setting and it never gets above 66 because the frigid temp and strong winds are just too much for the furnace. We always switch to flannel in the winter. Here in the Great White North every little bit helps! For us adults, we also use hot water bottles as needed.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton