View Poll Results: When did you transition your DC out of the crib?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) When potty training - DC needs to be able to get to the toilet.

4 9.52%
  • 2) When DC can climb out of crib - the danger of falling is greater than most other dangers.

18 42.86%
  • 3) When DC's armpits are at the rail? I just read that in the most recent Parents magazine.

1 2.38%
  • 4) Not until even a crib tent won't contain DC!

3 7.14%
  • 5) other (please explain)

16 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Poll: when did you transition out of the crib?

I've heard so many "definitive" answers that I'm confused!

1) When potty training - DC needs to be able to get to the toilet.

2) When DC can climb out of crib - the danger of falling is greater than most other dangers.

3) When DC's armpits are at the rail? I just read that in the most recent Parents magazine.

4) Not until even a crib tent won't contain DC!

So, I'm really hoping the answer isn't #3. My 16-mo-old is already that tall, even with the mattress on the lowest level, and I'm NOT ready to let her out! (PG mommy needs her sleep!).

I'm assuming that we'll keep DC#2 in the PNP bassinet for around 6 months, like we did with DD. And I'm assuming by then, when DD is 2 1/2 years old, it will be about time to move her out of the crib anyway.

But please say now is too early?
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not much help - I put "other" because we transitioned DD out of the crib around 28 months or so to have the crib available for DS. She was still very happy in the crib at that stage. But to make you feel better, she's also now very happy in her big girl bed and while she may get up a tad earlier than she used to, her sleep habits are still really good.
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We transistioned about 2 years to get the crib ready for the next kid. They both moved just fine.
    Kris

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We transistioned about 2 years to get the crib ready for the next kid. They both moved just fine.
    DD1 was nearly 2.5 when she moved out of the crib so DD2 could move in.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh goodness, no. Now is too early. Even when they first start putting a toe on the rail is too early IMO. Mine jumped out 9 times in one day, so we got a video monitor and put her in the big bed we had set up.

DS2 is staying in the crib as long as possible. Probably not doing the crib tent thing, but I may. Our boys are sharing a room, but when he can climb in/out, he may go into DD's room just so he doesn't climb into the baby's crib. We only keep ours in our room for 2 mos.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I used it until I was sick of it. With Sarah until she turned 2. With Amy, just after she turned 1.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A few months ago. Total mistake. Next one will stay in the crib as long as possible with a crib tent.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At about 2 years 3 months, DD became fascinated with the bed (her room had a twin bed in it as it was a guest room before she was born). We went to IKEA to browse and she wandered around the bed section for nearly 20 minutes trying every single bed and saying "bed, bed, bed" the whole time. It was hilarious- and tiring. Also, when it was bedtime she would scream if I tried to put her in the crib, but would happily fall asleep in the bed. Once she was asleep, I moved her back the to crib for a couple weeks until she figured that one out.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

When DS could climb/fall out we switched. He was a little over 2. You DD is way to young to transition.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids are 2 years apart and DD at 2.5 is still in her crib and will be until she starts climbing out. I just bought a second crib for DS ($99 IKEA version) so they each have their own.
    When the climbing starts is when I'll make the move.
    DD
    DS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast