View Poll Results: When did you transition your DC out of the crib?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) When potty training - DC needs to be able to get to the toilet.

4 9.52%
  • 2) When DC can climb out of crib - the danger of falling is greater than most other dangers.

18 42.86%
  • 3) When DC's armpits are at the rail? I just read that in the most recent Parents magazine.

1 2.38%
  • 4) Not until even a crib tent won't contain DC!

3 7.14%
  • 5) other (please explain)

16 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We're waiting until pt'ing (closer to age 3), and hopefully we will have also moved by then. Goodness, I think DS' armpits were at the rail by 10 months!?! I'll have to look back at pictures. That's just nuts. Strangely, although he's wild all day long (go go go) he's never tried to get out of the crib. Into it, yes. Out, no. I imagine he physically could have done it at 18 mos or thereabouts. He loves his crib and his little environment in there If I were you I'd try to get as close to 2 as possible, and maybe later.

ETA: just looked at some older pictures and DS' armpits were at the rail of the pnp by 8 mos. Don't know how that compares to the crib mattress on the lowest setting as it's not set up anymore, but I'd imagine it's comparable.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sleep sacks really extended our crib time, but they still climbed out by a little over 2.5 so we switched then.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i think it all depends, but basically I would say when the kid starts climbing out of the crib. my MIL was telling me that my DH began climbing out of his crib at 9 months. By his first birthday, they had to get him a toddler bed, as there was no way he was staying put inside a crib.

i am pretty shocked that some people can keep their kids in cribs until 2.5 years old...i guess girls are just different from boys, and they don't try to climb out as much? My brother was similar to DH, as he was a climber...by 1.5 years he was climbing out and my parents had to get him a bed.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-22-2009 at 06:58 PM.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is 2.5 and still happily in her crib, so I see no reason to change until she starts asking.

We are PT'ing, but we still put her in diapers for naps/bedtime.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We got rid of the crib sides at 3 and a few months because she was climbing over the rails in the middle of the night. And boy, do we dream of the days when she was in the crib. Life hasn't been the same since - or sleep hasn't, for any of us, anyway. Keep them in the crib as long as humanly possible!

for Sandy Hook

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We moved DD onto a mattress on the floor at 18 mos and then to her big girl bed (a queen size bed) at 20 mos. She has only gotten out of bed once or twice on her own. It worked for us to transition early and I have no regrets.
    mommy to DD 1/07

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dd1 graduated from her crib because she was climbing out. We actually put her back a couple of times but she was persistent and enough was enough. We had to put a gate on her door so she wouldn't leave her room at night because she wanted to be in with us more than anything. It was a *really* rough phase for us a new parents. She took to emptying her drawers and chucking her clothes in the hallway to prove her dismay. DH and I thought we were done for but it passed...
    Hope Dd2 doesn't get the itch anytime soon.

DS1 has been stripper baby taking his diaper off in his crib when he's bored since he was about 12 mos old. So around 15 mos we tried the toddler bed. Went great for about a week then he wouldn't stay in it anymore. We put a gate at his door and he would stand there and cry at night--until we went in to rescue him. At naptime he would only fall asleep in it if I got in w/ him. As I was pregnant at the time and so tired, I was happy to get a nap. Which only made things worse. After several wks of trying everything to get him to sleep in his bed, we finally gave up and put him back in his crib. We tried toddler bed again around 21 mos and had the same problem. He actually loves his crib and has only climbed out once. Just wish he'd keep that diaper on. He's nearly 2 now and will stay in the crib for a while longer. We bought another crib for the baby.
    Don't be in a hurry to move to a big bed. Most kids won't stay in them, they go to bed late, get up early, etc. IMO, 16 mos is too soon.
    DS#1: 11.06.07
    DS#2: 09.04.09

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm so glad NO ONE thinks I need to listen to that line in the magazine!

DD is happy in her crib, and I'm happy to have her there.

She took off her diaper once (when DH left her in her crib for a nap wearing nothing else because it was warm this summer), but so far she hasn't figured out how to unsnap her onesie or her sleeper. And after cleaning up that event, I nearly always make sure she's wearing something she can't get off!
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

ds1 'had' to move on out during his 2nd yr, bcse of ds2

ds2...ok here goes...where's the blushing embarrassed emoticon?
    he's still in his crib at age 3! he loves it! he doesn't climb in or out!
    we're all happy...he uses the toilet during the day and wears a pullup for sleeping still (and we're fine with that!)...
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast