View Poll Results: When did you transition your DC out of the crib?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) When potty training - DC needs to be able to get to the toilet.

4 9.52%
  • 2) When DC can climb out of crib - the danger of falling is greater than most other dangers.

18 42.86%
  • 3) When DC's armpits are at the rail? I just read that in the most recent Parents magazine.

1 2.38%
  • 4) Not until even a crib tent won't contain DC!

3 7.14%
  • 5) other (please explain)

16 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

We're in the middle of it right now - at 2 years 8 months. DD was getting out the crib several times a day. DS couldn't yet, but there would be hell to pay if one twin got a big kid bed and the other didn't.

They still share a room, so that makes the transition that much more challenging.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

Transition?? DS1 wanted out of the crib from the first time we laid him in it.

DS2 seems to like it a little better. Maybe he'll stay sleeping in it longer....
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

I voted other....For DS he was a little over 2. He just seemed ready for a big boy bed and didn't have strong attachment to his crib. His little sis was coming in a few months so I wanted to make the switch before she arrived. I got him a bed with trundle so he started out & actually still sleeps there since it is so low to the ground. He was more of my mover in bed so I felt more comfortable keeping him low. DD was 2 3/4 because I felt she would try to climb out of her crib and dh's cousin's child broke his arm that way. She has slept in a big bed more than her crib so she was also ready. Now is definitely too early for your child. I think your plan of waiting until she is around 2 1/2 is probably a good one. Both my kids spent a lot of time in the PNP when they were young so your future arrival should be fine too!

Good Luck!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can't imagine a little one that young not in a crib..as you'll see below.

DD was 3 1/2 and even then she was content in her crib, DH just wanted to convert her crib to her toddler bed.

DS who is currently 3 1/2 is soooo happy in his crib, we put a tent on it at age 2 when he started climbing out and we weren't ready for him wandering, too many safety issues in our home that weren't easily fixed...now he could unzip the tent but he just loves his crib...he loves to put his feet against the rails and zips himself into his tent...I don't know if he's ever gonna want out of there!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post

DS who is currently 3 1/2 is soooo happy in his crib......he just loves his crib...he loves to put his feet against the rails and zips himself into his tent...I don't know if he's ever gonna want out of there!
    phew!
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

DD was in it until about 3 - we had a house project going on and couldn't move her into her new room and then once it was finally ready she didn't want to so that was fine with us. She never once climbed out. I had read that if they try to climb before 18 mos you are in trouble and may have to move them but by 18 mos they should understand, no, no climbing and you just redirect them. DD obviously wasn't a climber though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3