Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

And if you don't wanna toast it, wrap 2 slices in barely damp paper towel and defrost in microwave...only takes a few seconds!

I try to buy our favorite brand on sale and stick at least 4-5 loaves in the freezer.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

Not only can you freeze your bread (I just took a loaf out of the freezer myself), but you can also freeze milk. Keeps us from having to run to the store so much. Between my husband, a 3 1/2, 16 mth old and myself we go through alot of milk.

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can also just put it in the fridge. Then use the fridge loaf for stuff you will toast or otherwise "cook" and the fresh loaf for sandwiches.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yep! I stock up on Costco's whole wheat bread about once a month. When I get home I put one loaf in the fridge and about three in the freezer. Our bread never gets stale or moldy.

Milk - seriously? I had no idea. I'll need to try this!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    Milk - seriously? I had no idea. I'll need to try this!
    oh yeah. That's what I do when I find clearance milk. Of course, I would do it more if we had more freezer space. Just don't forget to pour some out so it has room to expand!

My second freezer was the best purchase we ever made. You can freeze lots of stuff...Milk, Bread, Orange Juice, cheese, sandwich meat, extra meats (great for Sams, BJs, or sales) Tons of breastmilk (at it will keep longer in a deep freezer than your regular freezer). For a couple hundred bucks, it has been well worth the money.

For what it's worth, I don't pour any milk out and it will still freeze fine. It will push the side out of shape a bit but they go back when it thaws out. It has never leaked over in over 30years. (I grew up with my mom freezing milk). The same for the OJ. I think b/c they are not carbonated.

So how do you defrost your frozen bread? Do you take out one slice at a time, or the whole loaf? How long does it take to defrost? And are you all saying that if I defrost my frozen bread, it will taste just as good as fresh?! The mind boggles!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I keep my "fresh" bread in the fridge. So when I pull a loaf out of the freezer, I move it into the fridge. If I need a slice or two immediately from the frozen loaf I just put them on the counter for 5 minutes or so. They thaw really quickly.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by diegosmom View Post

For what it's worth, I don't pour any milk out and it will still freeze fine. It will push the side out of shape a bit but they go back when it thaws out. It has never leaked over in over 30years. (I grew up with my mom freezing milk). The same for the OJ. I think b/c they are not carbonated.
    So, is this just with the one gallon jugs of milk, or can you do it too with the 1/2 gallon in the cardboard containers? We buy org milk in the cardboard containers, b/c everytime I buy it in the one gallon jug, it goes bad before the exp date (which is annoying, b/c it is cheaper by the gallon vs 1/2 gallon), and I just don't want any exploded milk containers in my deep freezer, b/c it's huge and I would have to get into it to clean it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast