Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chinook View Post
    I asked again about fish allergies when I went to work at a clinic yesterday. I was told that allergy to fish, no matter how severe, is absolutely NOT a concern with the adjuvanted vaccine. Squalene is apparently a substance that occurs naturally in the human body as well as in sharks. People with anaphylaxis to fish are not offered the unadjuvanted vaccine here at all, it's for PG women only.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

We (mainly DH) are pretty freaked out here -- the news had a 3yo in ICU today. We are going to get the adjuvanted vax for DD#2 from whereever we can find it this week. Interestingly, it has less thimerosol, which is a plus.

Oh, and the shots that the Flames got? Two NURSES got fired for it. Oh yeah right, I'm sure it was THEIR idea.
    Yeah, that makes sense. WTF??? I hope they grieve that and cause a lot of grief for the gov't.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh, and the shots that the Flames got? Two NURSES got fired for it. Oh yeah right, I'm sure it was THEIR idea.

WTF?? Are you serious?! I assumed it would be some bureaucrat sitting behind a desk somewhere. I am totally horrified by this. What is this province coming to?!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by EllasMum View Post
    WTF?? Are you serious?! I assumed it would be some bureaucrat sitting behind a desk somewhere. I am totally horrified by this. What is this province coming to?!
    So the Flames thing... doesn't bother me one bit. I think the whole thing is simple scapegoating. The province opened the clinics for everyone. The Flames are "everyone". The Flames got the shots (but didn't stand in line or they would have caused a huge fan mess). The province realized that they didn't have enough shots for everyone and promptly closed the clinics. The media picked up on the fact that the Flames got special treatment (while the rest of us had no hope in hell of getting the shots) and the province "appeased" the angry masses by firing the people that had nothing to do with this mess, thus offloading the blame that should have been directed at the botched government vax program. Nice!

As an aside, the sports teams in Canada have always had 2 tier medicine - they have their own doctors, dentists, imaging services, sports med, physio clinics, etc. Trust me, when they need an MRI they get one lickety split (and that was before the for-pay clinics opened up). My boss has a hilarious (and scary) story about how he got major knee surgery in the back of a sports med clinic after hours, for cash, 15 years ago and the surgery was performed by the Flames knee guy. While I may not like the Flames getting access to things I don't get, the flu shot is not my biggest peeve by far!

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

chinook is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have no doubt that pro sports players get preferential treatment here. I do find the flu shot situation gross, though. That they thought it wouldn't get out, and cause a huge stink, is unbelievable. The vaccine situation had been front page news for days and days. There was a great letter to the editor last week that said thank god the flames weren't on the titanic when women and children were trying to get into the lifeboats!

And now, two nurses are out of work because of it. As far as I know it is two nurse managers and the orders to do it came from higher up (as if there was ever any doubt).

What. A. Crock.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

There was a great letter to the editor last week that said thank god the flames weren't on the titanic when women and children were trying to get into the lifeboats!
    I actually don't see how the Flames players are to blame either - the players were given orders by someone to get the shot. Athletes are a bit like robots that way - they are told to do something and they do it. I have no doubt that the players themselves are fine upstanding folks. I found that letter to the editor pretty awful actually. It makes them seem like monsters.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

I wouldn't say it makes them sound like monsters but I do think it makes them sound like total idiots. They're adults, I'll assume most of them are either literate or watch the news, they knew how things were going down in Calgary with the vaccine line-ups. Do you think they were told to get the shot "or else"? Doubt it. They were just acting like the entitled brats that they are, they are SO special that they can go for a shot in secret without a minute in line, WAY more special than everyone else in town.

Disgusting.

DD#2 got her shot today. DH got her the adjuvanted version at his dr's office. Nice on multiple levels. DH taking some responsibility for medical stuff (which I've bitched about frequently), nice that his dr got to see DD#2 -- we don't normally take the girls there. Nice that he actually HAD the shot to give her (mine d/n). Nice that she d/n have a reaction. SUPER nice actually.

Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Melissa, I'm so happy for you I know you've been super-stressed about this, so I'm really glad to hear that it's taken care of. You're vaxed too, now, right?
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Oh yes, DD#1 and I got it last Monday.
    Melissa

Glad to hear you've all been stabbed

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5