Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default 25 signs you are Canadian

25 SIGNS YOU MAY BE CANADIAN:
    1. You're not offended by the term "HOMO MILK".
    2. You understand the phrase "Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield."
    3. You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars.
    4. You drink Pop, not Soda.
    5. You know that a Mickey and 24's mean, "party at the camp, eh!!!"
    6. You don't care about the fuss with Cuba. It's a cheap place to go for your holidays, with good cigars .
    7. You know that a pike is a type of fish, not part of a highway.
    8. You drive on a highway, not a freeway.
    9. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.
    10. You know that Casey and Finnegan were not part of a Celtic musical group.
    11. You get excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada.
    12. You brag to Americans that; Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & Mike Myers are Canadians. ... also , Alex Trebec, David Foley, Matthew Perry etc.etc.
    13. You know that the C.E.O. of American Airlines is a Canadian!
    14. You know what a toque is.
    15. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
    16. You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced "Zed".
    17. Your local newspaper covers the national news on 2 pages, but requires 6 pages for hockey.
    18. You know that the four seasons mean: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road work.
    19. You know that when it's 25 degrees outside, it's a warm day.
    20. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.
    21. You know how to pronounce and spell "Saskatchewan".
    22. You perk up when you hear the theme song from `Hockey Night in Canada'.
    23. You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade. 24. "Eh?" is a very important part of your vocabulary, and is more polite than, "Huh?" 25. You actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all of your Canadian friends! Then you send them to your American friends just to confuse them!"
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    [B][SIZE=4]
    15. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
    We have taken this one to the next level. One costume (flimsy princess/Tinkerbell dress) for the preschool, indoor party. Another completely separate costume (thick, fuzzy, ON dragon costume!) for trick or treating. Ah, the reality of October in Canada!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by EllasMum View Post
    We have taken this one to the next level. One costume (flimsy princess/Tinkerbell dress) for the preschool, indoor party. Another completely separate costume (thick, fuzzy, ON dragon costume!) for trick or treating. Ah, the reality of October in Canada!

Yup, us too. 2 costumes, one indoor and one outdoor....
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Hee hee. I've seen that before and it's still funny. But I do want to say that *some* of those are also appropriate for those of use that grew up in the northern parts of the US. Such as pop and highways (autoroute here ), and I can't remember ever trick-or-treating w/o my skijacket under my costume. I NEVER got to be a ballerina because of that I also want to add that the bottom of you post is scrunched a bit and I read "24" like "two-four"...another little Canadianism I learned courtesy of DH.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." ~Jack Layton

Here are some more: http://www.canadaka.net/content/page...-english-words scroll down to the end...
    Melissa

They got flat wrong, though:

<LI hasbox="2">Flat: An Atlantic Canadian term used to refer to a box containing 24 bottles of beer. (see also, 2-4) Central and Western Canadians usually use the term 'case' to identify this quantity, although the term flat is also sometimes used for the same thing in Western Canada. Also slab. "Flat" is almost never used to mean "apartment" in Canada, even though this usage is common in both the UK and some regions of the US, although it is fairly common in the city of Victoria, British Columbia as are other Britishisms uncommon elsewhere in Canada.
    Here a flat = 24 beer (same thing as a twofer). A case = 12 beer. And I lived a LOT of years in Victoria and never once heard an apartment called a flat.
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Here are some more: http://www.canadaka.net/content/page...-english-words scroll down to the end...
    Cool! .......
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." ~Jack Layton

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Love it!!!

We also refer to the May long weekend as the May "2-4 (TwoFour)" weekend, a nod to our love of beer and the official start of summer cottage season and drinking our very expensive 24 bottle/case of beer (which by the way has handles large enough to accommodate mittens!)

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Having just come from the US, I totally appreciate this list! I had to teach everyone I met the Canadian-isms - "toque", "pop", and "grade 3". Toque was the one that threw people the most. In fact when we go back to TX in December, I am bringing toques with me as gifts.

Oh, and from the other list, has anyone heard this one:

Bunny Hug: Term used in Saskatchewan that is a hooded sweatshirt with or without a zipper that has a pocket in the front. Also refered to as a Hoodie in most other provinces

My co-worker knew what it was, but I had no idea. She is from a city north of here but not in Sask.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Canuck Wheel

~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast