Default November Multiples Mom Chat!!!

October is over, let's start a new chat! I'll throw out some topics

1) What's a surprising benefit of being a multiples mom?

For me, it's getting to drive in the HOV lanes all of the time. Woo hoo, see ya suckers! While they're stuck in traffic, I'm whizzing by in my built in carpool.

2) Holiday traditions you do with your kiddos?
    We haven't started any yet. I think I will do the new pajamas on Christmas eve tradition. I like that one. But I'm looking for better ideas!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    October is over, let's start a new chat! I'll throw out some topics

For me, it's getting to drive in the HOV lanes all of the time. Woo hoo, see ya suckers! While they're stuck in traffic, I'm whizzing by in my built in carpool.
    You have to have 3 people in the car to drive in the HOV lanes??

Let's see...clothes shopping...if I can't decide between 2 cute outfits, buy them both! Food...so convenient to feed 2: they split grilled cheese sandwiches, bananas and other fruit, string cheese, bagels, avocados, etc. Never really any "leftovers"! And my girls really seem to play with each other now (well, in addition to lots of fighting). They chase each other around squealing with delight, they make each other laugh, they play peek-a-boo with each other using dirty laundry...I don't feel like I always have to be the one entertaining them now. But I do have to referee, all the time!

Holiday traditions: not yet. We've only been through the holidays once, and that was back in survival mode I love the new pajamas tradition though!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    You have to have 3 people in the car to drive in the HOV lanes??

Let's see...clothes shopping...if I can't decide between 2 cute outfits, buy them both! Food...so convenient to feed 2: they split grilled cheese sandwiches, bananas and other fruit, string cheese, bagels, avocados, etc. Never really any "leftovers"! And my girls really seem to play with each other now (well, in addition to lots of fighting). They chase each other around squealing with delight, they make each other laugh, they play peek-a-boo with each other using dirty laundry...I don't feel like I always have to be the one entertaining them now. But I do have to referee, all the time!

Holiday traditions: not yet. We've only been through the holidays once, and that was back in survival mode I love the new pajamas tradition though!
    Yes, three in HOV, isn't that crazy??? I am always worried I'll get pulled over because it's hard to see the carseats.

Love your post! It made me smile.
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ITA about the food thing! That has been great, but it is coming to an end... They are starting to eat more and want different things. They also do a pretty good job of entertaining eachother. It is sweet when they do unusually nice things for each other. (sharing without being asked, giving a hug, whatever)

It has been a hard couple weeks for us, though. They have been sick off and on, the time change is killing us, and they are acting out a lot right now. I am yelling more than I ever wanted!

And, although they love preschool, I think it is really getting to them that no one can tell them apart yet. Apparently their teacher STILL can't. They school tells me not to put labels on them or color code them, but I think it is starting to be an issue. They've started telling me "I'm ____ and I want this." or "No, I'm _____" I'm like, I know who you are, I was talking to your sister! This was never a big deal before. I think it is stressing them out and I wonder if it is causing some big identity crisis! I know they are identical, but seriously, they are easy to tell apart! (to me, anyway )

So, I guess I am a bummer today.

Halloween was a blast though!

For me, not having to be pregnant again - 2 for 1 is very efficient and our family is complete.
    I think it is easier to have 2 kids the same age that play with age-appropriate toys together, instead of having to try and keep track of who can play with what. It also goes along with being able to spend quality play time with them together because they are on the same level developmentally.

2) Holiday traditions you do with your kiddos?

Since they are still quite young, we do not have anything set in stone yet. But we plan on starting this holiday season as they are more aware of their surroundings. We do take photos of them on each holiday with a few themed items to commemorate the day since they were born.
    DD1 & DD2 9/2008

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    They school tells me not to put labels on them or color code them, but I think it is starting to be an issue.
    I walked into our preschool a few weeks ago and all the kids had masking tape on their backs with their names on it. I was like what is going on?! But then I remembered that they were having personnel changes because the main teacher is out for chemo (and doing well, hurray!).

That must be such a disorienting experience for your girls. I hope the teacher figures out something soon that will help her treat them like distinct individuals instead of mixing them up.

1. Watching them interact with each other; the "built-in playmate" (also the "built-in sparring partner" ); the fact that they look out for each other and try to help or get help for each other if one is hurt or stuck or unhappy.

2. Last year we started an advent tradition that I read about in Wondertime. I string up 25 colored paper bags in our living room. Each one has a treat for each of them in it (I filled as we went along last year). Then after dinner, we take down the bag for that day and voila. They love it and it looks pretty festive, too.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Naranjadia View Post

2. Last year we started an advent tradition that I read about in Wondertime. I string up 25 colored paper bags in our living room. Each one has a treat for each of them in it (I filled as we went along last year). Then after dinner, we take down the bag for that day and voila. They love it and it looks pretty festive, too.
    Ooh, I like this! I may try it next year. This year I think 25 age appropriate treats might be hard.
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Ooh, I like this! I may try it next year. This year I think 25 age appropriate treats might be hard.
    Yes - last year, my kids were only 4 months older than yours now and I basically gave them a little piece of chocolate or a cookie each day, because I had a hard time coming up with other types of treats - but this year I will have more flexibility.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07