Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks. I read (CBC) that as of today, they were saying that healthy (not high risk) children ages 3 and up d/n need a booster. Under age 3 and high risk ages 3-9 need a booster.

DH is freaking out. Says DD#2 will NOT get a booster (she'll be 3 in January). DD#1 needs one too buddy.

It would be bad for me to take them without him, right?
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

chinook is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I think here the recs are 3 and under need a booster, 4 and up not, any kid with a chronic health condition needs a booster.

Had a quick chat with our MD today. He said they recommended two H1N1 shots, even in kids with previous seasonal shots, because adjuvanted flu shots are new here and there just wasn't enough data to know if one would be enough. He says the decision to change the recs were based on a large (~1100 kid) study done in China. Because kid's immune systems are not as "reactive" as ours, it was felt two would more than likely be needed. The other part of the initial decision was not knowing what vaccination rates would actually be and would we be able to benefit from any herd immunity.

He said that many of the decisions made around vaccine recs have to come down to what's practical and likely. Ideally, adults would get TWO shots a year, one in October and one in February, because flu season lasts longer than the antibodies the shots produce. But, he said, that would be a nightmare, it's hard enough to get people to come out for one, so traditionally we only have one per year.

Long and short? We'll be getting the boosters.

And it will be ALL daddy's job. Yep. FOR SURE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2