Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Appetizers Holiday 2009

Since bubbaray started it, I'm going to add this one....I need some new appetizer recipes for a holiday party we host in Dec.

Cold or hot, dip, finger foods....especially things I can prep in advance and/or freeze. Things that can be served room temp are great, but I do have the oven on to heat things. Also things that aren't too messy since people are up and walking around vs sitting.

Links or recipes would be great! TIA!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

These are SO easy and SO good!! They always get raves and I am embarrassed by how easy they are.

Cranberry Brie Bites

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups Apple Cranberry Chutney (Stonewall Kitchen or whatever brand you prefer)
    1 puff pastry sheet (OR 2 boxes premade/formed philo cups, Athenos brand)
    1 Brie triangle, chilled

Directions
    -Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    -Cut puff pastry sheet into approximately 3 inch squares and place into mini muffin tins, pressing them into the shape of the tin.
    -Place a 1 inch slice of brie in the center of the pastry and top with 1 Tbsp Chutney.
    -Bake 10 minutes or until pastry corners are toasted light brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ooooh, scallops or water chestnuts wrapped in bacon. Broil a few minutes (5? I never time it) until bacon is cooked. YUMMMM!!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

One of my favorite things in the world:

Mocha Coffee Punch:

2 oz instant coffee (I usually use Decaf)
    2 cups boiling water
    1 cup sugar
    1 gallon milk
    1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream
    1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
    2 cups whipping cream or cool whip

Add coffee and sugar to boiling water. Chill it (usually do this the day ahead and stick it in the fridge). Add 1 gallon milk and ice cream (you need to leave it on the counter for an hour or so first to soften up). Mix it all thoroughly and put a huge dollop of whip cream on the top.

If you are making this for a party, I find it works to buy 2 half chocolate half vanilla ice cream cartons (I think Breyers). Then I make 1/2 the recipe at a time otherwise my punchbowl doesn't really hold it all with room to stir. If that makes sense....

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Pumpkin Dip

8 oz cream cheese
    1 15 oz can pumpkin
    2 c. powdered sugar
    1 Tbsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Mix cream cheese with sugar on low until smooth. Add pumpkin, cinnamon and ginger. Chill 8 hrs. Serve with apples, pears and ginger snaps.

Delicious, and perfect for Thanksgiving. You can hollow out a small pumpkin to serve it in and it's really cute!!

Default Sausage Won Ton Appetizer

This is an easy recipe that makes a lot....and they are yummy too!

You can sub other things too, different olives, spicy sausage, cheese, etc...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Won-Ton...rs/Detail.aspx

Erin
    DS 8/05
    DD 1/08
    DS 3/11

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am doing small skewers of marinated mozzerella (bought prepared at BJs) with grape tomatoes. I will serve it with garlic bread.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bnme View Post
    I am doing small skewers of marinated mozzerella (bought prepared at BJs) with grape tomatoes. I will serve it with garlic bread.
    YUMMY...my friend did those with fresh basil on them as well. So good!

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Keep them coming! Thanks for the drink ideas too!

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    These are SO easy and SO good!! They always get raves and I am embarrassed by how easy they are.

Cranberry Brie Bites

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups Apple Cranberry Chutney (Stonewall Kitchen or whatever brand you prefer)
    1 puff pastry sheet (OR 2 boxes premade/formed philo cups, Athenos brand)
    1 Brie triangle, chilled

Directions
    -Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    -Cut puff pastry sheet into approximately 3 inch squares and place into mini muffin tins, pressing them into the shape of the tin.
    -Place a 1 inch slice of brie in the center of the pastry and top with 1 Tbsp Chutney.
    -Bake 10 minutes or until pastry corners are toasted light brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
    I've made something similar, the recipe was a good preserve (I used raspberry) and brie. I might try the puff pasty sheet this year. I did do the phyllo cup last year but had two apps that needed them and they are pricey! This might create a different "look" too.

Here is one with a phyllo cup too - Wild Mushroom Tartlet:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Ooooh, scallops or water chestnuts wrapped in bacon. Broil a few minutes (5? I never time it) until bacon is cooked. YUMMMM!!
    I never think to do these. Do you buy fresh scallops at the fish counter or frozen? I don't think I've ever purchased scallops!

Quote Originally Posted by bnme View Post
    oh I like the skewer idea, this would be a cute presentation.

etaylor75 the wontons sound great, the link isn't working at the moment but I'm going to check it out again later.

ohiomom1121 I think I'll make that pumpkin dip for Thanksgiving, sounds yummy, thanks!
    Last edited by alien_host; 11-17-2009 at 08:47 AM.

So they're a little lowbrow, but I LOVE sausage cheese balls! They're easy and cheap to make, and they always disappear quickly. Tons of recipes out there, but here's mine:
    Sausage Cheese Balls
    1 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1 lb hot to medium sausage
    2 c Bisquick
    1-2 T of milk or water (as needed, to make help ingredients stick together)
    Dash of cayenne or chili pepper, if desired (or use Tobasco)

Ingredients should be at room temperature. Combine all ingredients and shape into 1 inch balls. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until done. Remove from cookie sheet using a spatula. May be served warm or at room temp.

I also like making these:
    Amazing Asian Beef Skewers with Spicy Mustard Sauce
    1 lb thin-sliced boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut into narrow strips
    2 T soy sauce
    2 T dry sherry or cooking sherry
    1 T sesame seed oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 c brown Dijon mustard
    Cayenne pepper

1. Place steak in plastic bag or container. Combine soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil and garlic and pour over steak. Seal container; turn to coat. Marinate in fridge 30 min to 2 hrs, turning occasionally.
    2. Soak 18 6” bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes
    3. Drain steak; discard marinade. Weave steak accordion-style onto skewers. Place on rack of broiler pan.
    4. Broil 4-5” from heat for 4 minutes. Turn skewers over and broil for 4 more minutes, until barely pink in center.
    5. Pour pan drippings from beef into serving cup; stir in mustard and desired amount of Cayenne pepper. Serve beef skewers warm or at room temperature, with mustard sauce. Garnish w/ cherry tomatoes, if desired. Recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd.
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast