aac is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default from regular bed to toddler bed??

We currently put my 2 yr old to bed in a queen size bed (and lay with him until he falls asleep - transitioning from cosleeping). He usually gets up once or twice throughout the the night and usually fights us when it's nap time. He doesn't seem to have a problem sleeping in the queen bed and calls it his own bed in his own room.

We are considering getting a race car/Thomas toddler bed as incentive for sleeping during nap times and to hopefully entice him to sleep through the night, but aren't sure that it will make a difference. I'm also wondering if we would be digressing (going from adult bed to toddler bed), but that would be offset by sleeping through the night, plus it's not like we're putting him back in a crib, right?

He also has no problem going down for naps at his daycare, so we're wondering if the toddler bed, being closer to the ground and smaller in size will be closer to his cot at day care and might make nap time easier.

Any thoughts/experience?

Thanks!

As you say he has less trouble sleeping in this bed at night, or napping at daycare, I suspect his trouble napping at home has very little to do with the bed. I would rule out light/noise intrusion as a possible interference to napping (darkening shades and a white noise machine would help). The most likely suspect is routine and suspecting you are up to fun without him. In most daycares, naptime is highly ritualized (same times, same cues, same order, ask what they do there--it may give you ideas to follow at home). Most importantly, all of the children lay down for nap and the room is dark. The caregivers usually engage in boring pursuits during the time. If you are out of sight, he suspects you are up to fun. If you're capable, you could consider napping with him (though it could cause a backslide as he has transistioned to sleeping solo at night). Otherwise, try hanging out in his room, reading silently, knitting, etc. It doesn't get you your own time exactly, but it does get you quiet time and, if his lack of naps is causing meltdowns, a calmer evening. In the future you can slowly work on moving out of the bed or room during naps.

As for the bed, I'd say if you don't need to reduce the size of the bed for space issues, I wouldn't switch him from it. If he was cosleeping, the biggest reward was being near you, being in a similar bed is comforting. A new bed may just rock the waters. At the least, I would seek his input by letting him check it out in the store. You would hate to spend the money just to find the new bed is an unwelcome surprise to him.