Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

I cannot imagine what the repair kit would be.

We will never use the Amby bed again in our house.

Thank you so much to the father whose courageous persistence has made such a difference for other families and their babies. I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that you and your family, as well as the other baby and family who suffered a loss in the Amby, are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09

Many thanks must go to a pediatrician in Atlanta, GA, who reported the death of the girl there to the USCPSC on behalf of the parents. She started the process which has resulted in the Amby recall.

Default We have one too

We have had one of these for 2 years and just wondered if we would see any option here in Canada for a refund or are we just flat out the money!? If anyone sees or hears anything please let us know.

Hi all, so sad that these events have occurred. I ordered an Amby for expected bub just before hearing about the recall. As u can guess I freaked and called the number on the Australian website (not re-called in Australia as there has not been one recorded injury ever). The guy was really lovely and offered a refund if we wanted but explained that in both cases there has been irrefutable evidence that the hammock was being used incorrectly. The poor angel girl has just been given 5 immunisations at once (how could u!!!) and laid on her side and the little boy had apparantly been lain with his head at the foot end and the hammock tied incorrectly. I'm very sorry if I've gotten this wrong but this is what I've been told.
    There have been 50,000 ambys sold over the years and with only 2 deaths this puts the percentage much lower than the average percentage of SIDS deaths that have occurred.
    Just keep an open mind Mums out there who really find the hammock helpful, it would be sad for all those poor little tikes who only sleep well in the hammock to miss out when maybe (I'm definitely no expert) there isnt really need for them to.
    Zoe

Default Amby Baby Recall

My wife purchased the Amby Baby several years ago. We used it sporadically when our four-year old was between 0 - 5 months. We have been using it consistently for our new baby who is 3 months old. We were unaware of any problems with the Amby Baby until we got the following email yesterday.

January 8, 2010

In search of our database we have determined that you may own an Amby Baby Motion Bed. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in cooperation with Amby Baby USA have finalized a voluntary recall of Motion Beds distributed in the United States.

Consumers should contact Amby Baby to receive a free repair kit. Complete information regarding the voluntary recall notice and a direct link to order the repair kit is available at:

Website www.ambybaby.com

E-mail [email protected]

Toll Free 866-544-9721

Repair kits will be sent to customers who have requested them in approximately 3 weeks. In the meantime, the CPSC urges parents and caregivers to immediately stop using the recalled Amby Baby Motion Bed until the free repair kit arrives. In the meantime you should find an alternative sleeping environment for your baby.

Sincerely,

Amby Baby Management

is anyone using the Amby with the repair kit?
    I received the kit a couple of months ago and assembled it last week for our baby who is scheduled to arrive later this week. I have owned this thing for almost 3 years, but nothing is worth putting the baby at risk. I am thinking about trying it out just for naps when I am awake and alert, and putting a pack-n-play in my room for night time. I also have the jumpy seat, and I am assuming that is still safe regardless of the situation with the hammock.

The company now appears to have gone out of business in the US. The Australian web site is still up.

Honestly, we threw all our Amby stuff in the trash. I was so disgusted by the lack of attention from the company and the fact that they sold us the product AFTER the child deaths associated with the motion bed but BEFORE that went public/the recall. I also made repeated requests to the company after I read about the babies' deaths associated with Amby online but before the CPSC recall. I was told from an Amby rep (not in the US) that it was safe to keep using the Amby motion bed, just to take out the mattress once baby could sit up. Obviously, this was not the case as made evident by the recall a few weeks later. So irresponsible. Sickening. We were desperate for a sleep solution for our baby who had open heart surgery and also was suffering bad reflux -- the Amby actually worked but then I happened upon the tragic information online before the recall -- well, you can see my earlier posts with that whole storry if interested.

I didn't even order the repair kit, but that's just me.

I did receive a file from the CPSC after my freedom of information request with details about the deaths of the babies and the resulting investigations. I did not read the entire package as it was very long and horrifying and felt like an invasion of the families' tragic experiences, but what I did see was heart-breaking and terrifying. I would never use this product again under any circumstances, especially after seeing that package of information. If you would like to request the information yourself, contact CPSC and make a freedom of information act request regarding the Amby motion bed. I will say it took a long time to process -- made the request back before the recall was official and just received the package this summer.

We did use the Jump Jump a couple of times but I just felt wrong about using anything Amby. I want to say that I read somewhere about a Jump Jump strap breaking and causing an accident but I am sorry I don't remember where and couldn't find info on a quick Google search, so that's not any official word just a (potentially unreliable) memory.

Good luck with making your decision and wishing you all the best with your baby!

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    is anyone using the Amby with the repair kit?
    I received the kit a couple of months ago and assembled it last week for our baby who is scheduled to arrive later this week. I have owned this thing for almost 3 years, but nothing is worth putting the baby at risk. I am thinking about trying it out just for naps when I am awake and alert, and putting a pack-n-play in my room for night time. I also have the jumpy seat, and I am assuming that is still safe regardless of the situation with the hammock.

The company now appears to have gone out of business in the US. The Australian web site is still up.
    Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09

Hi! Does anyone have a copy of the full letter from JPMA? My sister had this product and I would like to share a copy of this letter with her. Thank you

I don't know of a letter from JPMA - and they're just an industry organization, not a true authority. However, here is the recall notice from the CPSC:
    http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10056.html

As my update to this thread - I put DS in the hammock a handful of times while I was right there watching him. I had set it up in my office thinking that he could nap there while I worked. It turned out he was the kind of baby who wanted to be held while he napped when he was itty bitty, so he ended up napping in the moby wrap instead. He's now of the age where I thought the jump jump was worth trying, but it is so far off the ground I don't understand how it could possibly work before the kid is 2 years old. It's much more like a swing than a jumper. So now I'm left to dispose of this whole pile of junk.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't read through all these comments. We never used these products - I was just caught by the title of this thread.

I followed the link to the company's web page. Have you looked at their "photo gallery?" Several of the pictures show tiny infants sleeping scrunched up (remember the infantino sling positioning problem?) and/or with big fluffy blankets up around them.

I'm totally ignorant about this product. Just wanted to comment that it doesn't seem so hot to post those pictures as examples for how to use their product! Yikes. Maybe it is a safe product if used properly, I have no idea ... but yikes.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8