Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I did a search on the Consumer Products Safety Commision website, and found nothing about Amby:

http://www.cpsc.gov/

CPSC is the government agency that issues recalls. You might try calling/emailing them to see if something is in the works. The internet posts are scary...but who knows what's legit and what's not. It does seem that something's up, now that the website is gone.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Oh, man. How extremely sad.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I purchased mine almost 5 years ago. At that time, it was endorsed by Dr. Sears and their websites were coordinated. What's probably happening is that the amby/sears partnership is over and they're not linked anymore. I don't see any negative info so it may be that it was simply an advertising issue and not safety related. Amby baby probably has a very limited budget and their website is probably more basic now and they're not completely ready. Looks like poor planning on their part.

There's still referencing to amby on the sears website but the items have been removed from the store. If there was a problem, Dr. Sears would need to issue some type of notice imo.

The urbanbaby post looks strange to me. No name is referenced.

The amby bed never worked for our kids but I never found anything wrong with the product.

Good luck, hope you're able to find the answers you need.
    Last edited by nov04; 11-17-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: eta info
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks so much for all the information and ideas, everyone.

DH just came home from work on a lunch break to set the Amby Baby motion bed back up.

I am torn but I really feel it is the best thing for DS right now. Of course I am horrified and sad for the family that experienced the tragedy with this product that is described in one of the online posts. However, DH and I have examined our Amby and don't see how the way we have DS set up in there could result in him moving into the kind of position that caused the tragedy. DS is swaddled in the Miracle Blanket and moves very little in the bed, just turns his head from side to side really, so I feel that he is secure.

It just seemed cruel not to let our baby sleep, especially since he is only 3 weeks out from open heart surgery and just started sleeping well again 3 days ago. He went from six and a half hour stretch at night on Sunday to only 2 hours last night without the Amby. We tried putting him on an incline in the big crib, in his mini-crib, swaddling, cosleeping in our bed, unswaddling and putting him on his tummy -- he was uncomfortable and would wake back up quickly most of the time -- he doesn't like the swing much and the bouncer seems more dangerous as a sleeping place for nighttime than the Amby as at least the Amby was designed for sleep and JPMA certified. When I put him in the Amby again about an hour ago, the baby sighed and snuggled and slept peacefully for the first time since I read the scary stuff online and had DH dismantle the bed. The particular kind of motion that the Amby does, along with the incline, is ideal for DS -- a swing is not the same, unfortunately.

It is maddening to do so much research and spend a good deal of money (not that that is what matters most, of course) in order to feel that you are doing the right and safe thing for your baby's needs, and then to feel that after finally finding a solution that it might not be OK after all.

I called the CPSC and spoke to someone who did a search and saw nothing on their site about Amby Baby, which was the same thing I experienced online. I left a message at another number for CPSC as well. I also left a message at JPMA, as they still have Amby on their site as being JPMA certified. I've also emailed both of those places.

I heard back from the Amby in Australia via email and was told that they are completely independent from the Amby in the U.S. (no surprise). One of the respondents said that his 8 week old twins sleep in the Amby; he recommended removing the mattress and just using the hammock when a baby can turn over.

That said, I am freaked out that Amby Baby has disappeared from the places that used to sell it in U.S., that the website doesn't work, and that the U.S. email address and phone numbers no longer work. Something is definitely up. I wonder if the company is regrouping and figuring out how to respond to the report on the tragedy. I hope they are going to handle this responsibly. I don't think the way it is being handled right now is very responsible at all. It is such a shame that a product we have loved so much and that has brought our DS relief, which he desperately needs, is causing this kind of anxiety and frustration.

I am going to work on gradually transitioning DS to sleeping in the big crib on a wedge. He just seems to really need the kind of rest he can get in the Amby right now and I feel that to deprive him of that would impede his post-op recovery from the open heart surgery. I'm going to look for a good reflux wedge that I can put in his big crib and start trying some naps in there and see how it goes, while continuing to let him do his big sleep stretches in the Amby as he has been.

I really hope I am making the right decision in continuing to carefully use the Amby. I think I am. Thank you all so much for the feedback and for helping me think through this situation. If you have ideas on how I can get more information, please let me know. Thank you!!!
    Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09

Just wanted to let anyone know who might currently use an Amby (or used to and is curious about this situation). I received an email back from the CPSC today saying that it does not appear that Amby Baby has had any product recalls. The email also included suggestions that I write to CPSC to receive information pertaining to reports the CPSC has received from consumers about the Amby bed (this is a Freedom of Information Act request which DH and I should get in the mail or fax tomorrow). It was also suggested that I contact the Better Business Bureau in Minnesota to inquire about the company since that is where the U.S. address for Amby has been. I emailed them as well. No word yet from the JPMA in response to my earlier email and phone call.

As I type this, DS is sleeping in the Amby, carefully positioned and swaddled. I am telling myself that this is the right thing for our dear "heart baby" who has been through so much suffering so far in his life -- reflux, suspected MSPI, and of course the large VSD that had 3 to 4 times the amount of blood going to his lungs than he should have had, which accounted for his troubles sleeping, breathing, and eating prior to his surgery. The Amby has been a gift of relief for him, as it really does soothe him and allow him to sleep unlike anything else we have tried. DS is getting better every day -- he gained a pound in eight days! and his "zipper" incision is looking better -- and I am convinced that his improved sleeping has been helping in his healing. So even though I have struggled with it today, DH, my mom, and best friend reassure me we are making a responsible and healthy choice for DS. Whew. I really hope I get more information soon. Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback and is helping me think this one through.
    Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09

Just want to say that I'm sending P&PT your way. Your poor DS has gone through so much, but it sounds like you as a family are really making every effort to see him well again.

Hugs!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

on the site pp mentioned, http://www.babyhammocks.com/
    it states:

"
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Due to response to positive customer feedback and upon the suggestions of parents, Amby Baby Natures Nets has successfully developed and is proud to introduce product enhancements to its Amby Motion Bed. These improvements are part of Amby Baby's ongoing, unparallel commitment to fully satisfying its customers and contributing to the well-being of parents and babies by helping newborns sleep and in alleviating the symptoms of colicky babies and of babies with acid reflux:
    a. Amby Baby is providing two nylon washers to be placed around the nut and bolt assembly of its Motion Bed.
    b. Amby Baby is providing two rubber strips to be used on the spring ends of its Motion Bed, while shortening the spring tips by 2.5 centimeters.
    c. Amby Baby has introduced a spring cover which is to be securely tightened at the bottom of the Spring on its Motion Bed.

d. Lastly, Amby Baby has successfully developed a heavier spring that is (rated to 12 to 20 kg) and will replace our previously recommended "two springs" for heavier babies.

Amby Baby recommends these new product enhancements for all its customers.

As always, for optimal performance, safety and satisfaction, Amby Baby reminds its customers to read instructions before using its products, and encourages customers with questions regarding assembly or use to please e-mail or call our office.

Amby Baby is devoted to creating products that increase the well-being of babies around the world. Few companies, if any, enjoy the customer loyalty and level of customer satisfaction that Amby Baby does. We at Amby Baby work hard to maintain our customers' loyalty and the unrivaled reputation of our products. To this end, Amby Baby welcomes all customer feedback and is always open to exploring new ways in which it can help parents and babies.

As a small company, Amby Baby prides itself on being able to communicate and respond to its customers. Amby Baby is thankful for all the positive and supportive letters and e-mails that it receives daily from parents of babies who are sleeping soundly thanks to our Motion Bed. If you have any questions or comments regarding these new Amby Baby product enhancements or would like information on our Motion Bed please call our office or email [email protected].

PDF Instruction Downloads
    Spring Cover Assembly Instructions.pdf (596k)
    Protect the Spring Assembly Instructions.pdf (439k)
    Nylon Washer Assembly Instructions.pdf (534k) "

hth

neeley

I think you deserve a pat on the back. You took your suspicions seriously and did all of the research that you could. You're making an informed decision (as informed as you can be right now) and in the end have decided to do what you feel is best for your DS. I know you're still scared, rightfully so, but I'm sure you'll be paying very close attention to him throughout the night. Do you have the Amby set up in your room? That might help you to relax a little more if you can keep a close eye on him. I also think you're right that his sleep is critical to the healing process, so that really has to take a factor in your decision.

Try to transition to the crib, but in the meantime, you're doing the best you can for him. Good job mama!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We used the BBB (better business bureau) to help solve a billing problem with XM radio and they did a great job; so I would totally follow up with them to see if they can help you as well.

Hope everything continues to turn out okay for you.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast