Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Here is another option for a sleep wedge!

http://napnanny.com/

Thanks everyone!

I tried the babyhammocks site to see about the product enhancements but when I click on the link for ordering in the US I get nothing...I think it is an Australia site...I emailed them to see what I can do.

Thanks again for all the information and encouragement!

Yes, we do have the Amby in our room which makes me feel better about the situation too.

You BBB mamas are the best.
    Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09

Default Amby suffocations

All statements from me are stated IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

That said, I will tell you to not waste time trying to contact Amby and direct enquiries to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The USCPSC investigated the August 2009 suffocation of a 5-month-old boy in Oregon and submitted the report to Amby Baby USA in mid-October. As of 10/16/09, Amby Baby USA stopped all shipments and added links to a new instructional video and safety checklist to warn of the dangers of an off-balance, tipping hammock. One month after this, the site and its new warnings vanished. Amby Baby USA disconnected their phones.

In June 2009 a 4-month-old girl died in Georgia, also suffocating on the hammock/mattress fabric. In 2008, a twin baby boy died in his bed, but the infant had pre-existing respiratory problems and the cause was open to doubt. It is being reviewed anew.

I hope the USCPSC can release details of their grave concerns as to the risk of these beds. Their engineers can find no way to eliminate the risk of suffocation inherent in the bed's design.

I found this thread on babycenter. I think it kind of says it all. What a horrible company to just take down their website!!!

http://community.babycenter.com/post...mby_bed_recall

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Bloom View Post

That said, I will tell you to not waste time trying to contact Amby and direct enquiries to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The USCPSC investigated the August 2009 suffocation of a 5-month-old boy in Oregon and submitted the report to Amby Baby USA in mid-October. As of 10/16/09, Amby Baby USA stopped all shipments and added links to a new instructional video and safety checklist to warn of the dangers of an off-balance, tipping hammock. One month after this, the site and its new warnings vanished. Amby Baby USA disconnected their phones.

In June 2009 a 4-month-old girl died in Georgia, also suffocating on the hammock/mattress fabric. In 2008, a twin baby boy died in his bed, but the infant had pre-existing respiratory problems and the cause was open to doubt. It is being reviewed anew.

I hope the USCPSC can release details of their grave concerns as to the risk of these beds. Their engineers can find no way to eliminate the risk of suffocation inherent in the bed's design.
    Can you site your sources? I'm sure other posters would be interested in any available info.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

TwinFoxes.

The link that Graciebellesmomma posted has the info in it. The posters on babycenter are saying to get more info you have to use the Freedom of Information Act because the case is still under investigation.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Bloom View Post

Sir, if that was your son, I am so terribly, terribly sorry. I can't imagine anything worse in the world than what you are going through. God bless you, and I hope you can find some peace through all of this.
    Strollerqueen

Quote Originally Posted by shawnandangel View Post
    TwinFoxes.

The link that Graciebellesmomma posted has the info in it. The posters on babycenter are saying to get more info you have to use the Freedom of Information Act because the case is still under investigation.
    Thanks for this.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Melarina, I hate to have you second-guessing yourself. But since this thread was first posted it always seemed to me like a very bad sign that there is child death implicated with this bed AND the company skipped town. I do understand that there are crib deaths in non-amby beds too but there is in my mind a big difference in the risk/danger from a company that issues a recall & addresses the issue and one that closes its doors. To me that is a big red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    Melarina, I hate to have you second-guessing yourself. But since this thread was first posted it always seemed to me like a very bad sign that there is child death implicated with this bed AND the company skipped town. I do understand that there are crib deaths in non-amby beds too but there is in my mind a big difference in the risk/danger from a company that issues a recall & addresses the issue and one that closes its doors. To me that is a big red flag.
    Indeed, a huge red flag.

As for my source for information, it is the USCPSC itself. I see by other posts on chat sites that one can get no new information from them via phone or email. This must be due to the fact that the action with Amby is ongoing. I have had a personal interview with an investigator and phone conversations with a compliance agent at the USCPSC. You might guess by these facts about how close I am to one of the incidents I cited above.
    This is not a rumor to me and my family.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast