Default Thomas train help for mom with toddler boy

So now that I have two boys and my oldest is almost 2 we need to get him Thomas train tracks and trains. He has a Thomas the train book and has watched it on netflix. He loves it! I bought him a plastic train table last year from Target for 75% off.

What do I need to get for this? I have heard about wooden tracks but only certain trains working on those. What do you recommend. Really, I have no clue so please explain.

Thanks!
    Mama to 3

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you do a search, there are several recent threads with more than 10 replies. One of those was mine, so I'll tell you what we've ended up with:

We got a Figure 8 bridge set and some parts to give later from AC Moore for 40% off. Each time I've purchased stuff there, they give a 50% off coupon for the following Sat. One week, we had 3 of these coupons, so we all went and got a RR crossing, another engine, and the cookie cargo pack. DD(3) had to pay for one and use a coupon b/c it is one person per coupon per day.

All very recently, we got a set of aquarium trains from my mom (not discounted -ouch), and a BUNCH of train + DVD boxes from Sam's Club for $8-9 each!

The pieces we'll break out later (Christmas?) are the expansion pack, some more of the Sam's trains, and the recycling trains I bought when they were on sale. At AC Moore, they'll put the Thomas stuff on sale for 40%off every so often. If it isn't on sale, you can use one of the 50% off coupons on it. I guess you can also google for AC Moore/Michael's coupons to use at ACM. Looks like Michael's stopped carrying Thomas. HTH some.

BTW, DH has watched a few Tivo'd episodes and *he* is really into getting the right parts for their play. In the future, I'll just line up the coupons on the counter and let him take DD and DS1 shopping without me

My advice is to consider IKEA or Target wooden tracks as they're compatible with Thomas tracks, buy the trains with coupons at AC Moore. Consider used also (Craigslist). Thomas retail price = super expensive. Personally I am not a fan of the plastic track Thomas stuff or the Take along metal thomas trains. I only like wooden Thomas.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Circo brand tracks at Target fit the Thomas engines. If you have a Learning Express near you, you may want to call & see if they're having a sale today. Ours is 20% off everythgin in the store, including Thomas engines. Also check the Learning Curve web site to see if they have any deals on any of the engines.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimemama View Post
    My advice is to consider IKEA or Target wooden tracks as they're compatible with Thomas tracks, buy the trains with coupons at AC Moore. Consider used also (Craigslist). Thomas retail price = super expensive. Personally I am not a fan of the plastic track Thomas stuff or the Take along metal thomas trains. I only like wooden Thomas.
    Agreed. It's an investment, to be sure. DS is 5 and still sometimes gets the trains out to play. They'e held up reasonably well and will be one thing that we'll hold onto for grandkids--someday.
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

We don't have any AC Moores here. Are the target tracks just target brand?

Thanks!
    Mama to 3

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimemama View Post
    I usually buy "other" track and the "Thomas" trains. The TRU Imaginarium brand is nice. We only do wooden here too.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Quote Originally Posted by Octobermommy View Post
    We don't have any AC Moores here. Are the target tracks just target brand?

Thanks!
    Hmm.. I *think* I may have heard once that some Michael's carry Thomas (?) But I may be mistaken. Ours doesn't seem to carry it.

The target tracks - when you go to the Thomas section.. I think it will be obvious which ones are "target brand".. I think they're either Circo or Kidkraft branded.. but it's basically the only thing right there in the Thomas section that isn't Thomas. I bought a kit for about $25.

I will say if you want to go the craigslist route, I'd hold off on buying anything because I've noticed that most people tend to sell their Thomas stuff as a "lot" with the table, tracks, etc.

my IL's have gotten a ton of stuff from yardsales too. FWIW DS loves Thomas but we got geotrax trains and track. He doesn't seem to care at all. We have a few thomas trains (he got a small take a long set when DD was born) but the books and TV are OK for that and we prefer how geotrax stay together and the price more than the thomas stuff.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)