Default favorite wii games

what are your favorite games for wii? just bought the console today. what else do i need?

also bought three games:

resort sports $39.99
    crayola colorful journey $14.99
    build-a-bear a friend fur all seasons $14.99

good deals? do i need some other stuff? controllers or something? i am really clueless about these things. i would love dh to be able to enjoy playing this on christmas morning. tia.
    neeley

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Last Christmas we asked for more remotes so now we have 4 remotes, which is great when we have parties. We just have 2 numchucks, I think.

Outdoor Challenge, Wii Sports, Boom Blox, Rock Band and the Lego games are popular here. I like Mario Party when we have company over too.

Beth

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wii Sports Resort
    Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Winter and Summer)
    Mario Kart

We have a Diego game that DS likes OK, but he prefers the others. I just got the Toy Story game for Christmas but I don't have an opinion on it yet. He sure loved that ride at Disney though.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You definitely need a 2nd remote...the Wii Play game is $40 and comes with one. There are a bunch of games on there that kids can pick up and play (my 3 year old has beat the tanks game on there, LOL) Numchucks are nice too, you'll need them for boxing etc. that comes with Wii Sports. Sports Resort and Mario Kart are big favorites around here too. Raymond Raving Rabbids is a lot of fun as well, but not for the kids!

great advice so far.

so at least another remote. do i need numchucks? and what should i expect to pay?

also, resort sports came with motion plus. should i get another one of these? seems like it makes the remote work better.

thanks for all the advice for a video game idiot!!
    neeley

You need the motion plus for every person who wants to play Wii Sports Resort at the same time. For most games out now it isn't necessary, though there are a couple that require it, so check the package for requirements when you're out getting new games.

Also I just wanted to add that we have a nunchuk (sp) for every wii remote we have, which is three. We have one classic controller and one wavebird controller from our old Gamecube.

If you have an HD television you might want to get nintendo's component cables for the Wii, or one of the third party sets of wii component cables. The only cables that come out of the box are composite. Note that this will not make the Wii HD - the Wii is not HD. I believe with component cables it is 480p.

For my kids Christmas morning last year I made sure we had two remotes, two nunchucks, and two wheels. As someone said sports resort needs the motion plus so I'd have one for each remote. I think the minimum you want to have of everything is two so people can play against one another. It's on our list for this year to get a third and fourth set of everything. I'd look online to see what the equipment is running price wise. It's pretty standard - I tend to stick with Nintendo's version of things.
    Get lots of AA batteries too if you think he'll play a lot right off the bat. The kids were so excited and played so much the first few weeks after Christmas we went through a few.
    Games, well for an adult I'm no use.
    The 16 y/o girl and 6.5 y/o boy will play Mario Kart, Wii Sing, and Wii Sports together.

The 6.5 y/o boy plays the above and Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, and Mario Super Smash Bros the most of our collection.

On his Christmas list is Rock Band, Lego Indiana Jones and Wii Sports Resort.

16 y/o didn't put down any games but I'm sure she'd play Rock Band and Sports Resort with her brother if they show up Christmas morning.
    Last edited by alexsmommy; 11-21-2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

My favorites are Mario paper and super mario bros. DS who is 4 loves playing mario bros and has never shown much interest before in playing any games. I second wii play since it gets you the second remote. If you want resort get the one with 2 motion skins for $10 extra. Oh yeah, mario party is fun and I think if we bring that out DS will like that too and it is nice becasue each game can be as long or as short as you like.
    Shannon

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mario Kart gets much use by all age groups that visit or live in this house.

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have had a Wii for about 2 months. Mario Kart is by far the fave. I am not a big video game person and even I thought it was fun!