Default Amazon left box outside in pouring rain, christmas gifts wet

Has this happened to anyone?
    Am I going to have to ship these back in order to get a replacement/refund?

I am incredibly annoyed. I buy things online to SAVE HASSLE not create hassle.

i wouldn't blame amazon. they are not the delivery person. perhaps the post office or ups are to blame, but not amazon.

i would call amazon and see what they recommend that you do. i am sure they are insured and will send new packages out immediately.
    neeley

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Start with your post office supervisor (if it came USPS) and go from there. We had a LOT of problems with our mail carrier leaving things out in the rain (even though we have a covered porch). At one point she at least wrapped the boxes in plastic bags before dropping them out the window of her delivery SUV (so she wouldn't have to get out), and then it progressed to her just dropping them out without even a bag. It took multiple complaints to get it resolved. She then decided it would be best to always give me a pick up at the post office card for every. single. package. which I didn't think was at all fair either (she wouldn't even attempt to deliver). I hope you have better luck.

eta: my UPS and FedEx delivery people are great. My USPS carrier is absolutely horrible.
    Last edited by brittone2; 11-23-2009 at 10:48 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Just wondering if you were able to resolve the issue at all. Any updates?
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

I have amazon prime so I think it was mailed UPS?

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimemama View Post
    I have amazon prime so I think it was mailed UPS?
    Can you read what's on the label or is it so wet you can't read it?
    If you can't read it, go to your Amazon account and look at recent orders and check the tracking for it - is it USPS or UPS?

I agree with the others though. Amazon didn't leave your box there, the delivery person did.
    Kris

It's UPS. I filled out a claim form on their website reporting it wet/package damaged.. UGH

I was so excited to have gotten 2 christmas presents out of the way and now I just have one more thing to do

UGH!

should I even call/email amazon? Or deal directly with UPS? This has never happened to me before. Should I have called UPS? Or would you just fill out the online claim form?

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimemama View Post
    It's UPS. I filled out a claim form on their website reporting it wet/package damaged.. UGH

I was so excited to have gotten 2 christmas presents out of the way and now I just have one more thing to do

UGH!

should I even call/email amazon? Or deal directly with UPS? This has never happened to me before. Should I have called UPS? Or would you just fill out the online claim form?
    I might go with both. I believe that UPS's responsibility is to Amazon, not you, so if they want to be a pain they can tell you that Amazon has to make the claim.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would stick with UPS and see where it goes. They way I see it, Amazon really did nothing wrong in this instance. As pp mentioned it may not be a bad idea to call Amazon and inquire about your options but I wouldn't be on them about the wet packages.

I would skip UPS and go directly to the amazon website and get a free return shipping label for improper packaging.

It is amazon's responsibility to get your packages to you safely. They used to do a great job wrapping stuff, particularly books,in shrink wrap. Now they have gotten cheap and just throw books in a thin cardboard mailer. Every time I open one of these, I think how it would be totally ruined if left in the rain.

As an ebay seller, it is my responsibility to get items to my customers safely and I can't count on usps to always do the right thing in the rain or assume the customer has a mail area that is safe from blowing rain, etc; so I go to extra effort to package my things to be as disaster-proof as possible. Amazon needs to do the same.

If you want to make a point with ups go ahead with the claim, but having a screened in porch, I have the same issues. My lazy mail carrier and ups guy sometimes do leave things out on the front steps and in the few instances where there has been an issue, I have always gone back to the seller for improper packaging.