Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default nursing tank vs. nursing bra?

so i'm expecting my first baby in January and i plan to breastfeed so i'm currently looking into buying nursing gear/clothes. i've heard many moms rave about nursing tanks, and some say they prefer them over nursing bras and even recommend that i should get several nursing tanks and only a few nursing bras. now maybe i'm dumb but i am just really curious as to why i should opt for a nursing tank over a nursing bra..exactly what is so great about them? i can see how they would be convenient in the summertime..but the thing is, i will be having my baby in the winter, so it's not like i can simply wear a nursing tank out in public in place of a regular top..i would have to wear a sweater and/or coat over it anyway..so i don't see the added convenience, KWIM?

anyway, sorry if this seems like a stupid question, i guess i just want to know from other people's experience the benefits etc of using a nursing tank vs a regular nursing bra. i guess the idea of wearing a nursing tank instead of a bra didn't appeal to me right away, because i didn't want to feel like i was living in gym clothes all the time, KWIM? also i don't know if i'd like having an extra layer around my tummy, it seemed like it would probably show through clothing and be bulky etc. i have already bought a nice nursing bra (maternelle by elle macpherson intimates) and it seems very comfortable to me, and after baby is born i just planned on wearing it with various nursing-friendly tops that i have.... but if a nursing tank could have other potential benefits then i will get some of those too..

I love my nursing tank because it adds extra tummy coverage for when I am not wearing a nursing friendly top and have to lift that up. I however also love to layer! I also sleep in my nursing tank for the support. HTH
    mama to DS 12/08

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I live in my nursing tanks. The extra tummy coverage is VERY nice, especially on cold mornings. And it also offers extra coverage when BF in public (no tummy exposure). I totally just layer things on top of it. Tanks for the summer. Shirts/cardigans, sweaters, anything! I usually wear the Gilligan O'Malley tanks from Target (they are nice and cheap and comfy) but whenever I want to go out without looking like I have Uniboob, I wear my Bravado nursing tank. Pricey, but totally worth having one or two (or more...I just couldn't afford more than one!) It has a real built-in bra inside, and gives GREAT shape. And somehow it minimizes my post-partum tummy bulge really really well. And it has a longer length which is nice for layering.

The only time I've broken out my nursing bras was when I didn't have any clean tanks to wear LOL.

And I totally agree with the PP on how if you have a nursing tank, you can wear ANY kind of non-nursing top over it and still be discrete about nursing.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 11-25-2009 at 04:48 PM.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

75% of the time I wear/wore nursing tanks, 25% bras. I'm about a full B cup once things settle down a bit post partum, so I don't need a TON of support.

I like the belly coverage when NIP, which I did regularly with my previous 2.

I never wore actual nursing tops...a regular top plus a nursing tank worked great for me most of the time.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I never found a nursing tank I really liked with Elisa so I just wore bras all the time. I don't like shelf bras, unless it's a sports bra so that could be part of it too. I wore a Bravado sports bra style bra at night, had one from Medela, which was okay, but my favorite was one from Liz Lange's Target line. I didn't nurse in public much so I never really felt it necessary to continue looking for nursing tanks that worked for me (or nursing, tops, however lots of maternity tees are this way this time around).
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

thanks everyone for the replies, this is all very helpful info... so i guess it seems like a nursing tank is more versatile for nursing in public, as you can wear a nursing tank w/ regular (non-nursing) tops, and not worry about exposing your entire tummy..that makes sense. although i don't know how much i will NIP, but still it seems good to have at least one or two tanks so i'm not restricted to only wearing nursing tops when going out...

and yeah, the "uniboob" look (LOL, love that term!!) was the main thing i guess I had been concerned about re: a tank, when i was referring to being worried about the "gym clothes" appearance. i just googled about the Bravado tanks, they seem very good (get great reviews, etc) and i like that it doesn't have just a shelf bra, it has an actual molded bra underneath (i didn't know that). and yeah, the regular price of $45 is a lot but i just managed to find one for $37 at breakoutbras.com (free shipping + 10% off holiday discount)..yay!

thx again everyone for the info!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love my Target G O'Malley nursing tank tops! What I would suggest to you is to get a few tank tops, b/c when your milk first comes in, you get really engorged. the tank tops will offer you more stretch to accomodate the engorgement. When your breasts settle down, THEN shop for a nursing bra. Like the others, I like it b/c it offers extra belly coverage (I layer it with a shirt on top, this is really perfect for winter time) and in general I HATE bras, but the nursing tank is just really comfy. Target has changed their style though. It is back to the boob thong again, which I am not crazy about, but it is still better than wearing a regular nursing bra.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post

and yeah, the "uniboob" look (LOL, love that term!!) was the main thing i guess I had been concerned about re: a tank, when i was referring to being worried about the "gym clothes" appearance. i just googled about the Bravado tanks, they seem very good (get great reviews, etc) and i like that it doesn't have just a shelf bra, it has an actual molded bra underneath (i didn't know that). and yeah, the regular price of $45 is a lot but i just managed to find one for $37 at breakoutbras.com (free shipping + 10% off holiday discount)..yay!

thx again everyone for the info!
    Oh no did you already buy?? There's a 15% code posted on retailmenot.com: BB39702

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Oh no did you already buy?? There's a 15% code posted on retailmenot.com: BB39702
    oh, i did actually already order it....and i didn't know of this site retailmenot.com, great site for future reference though!!

edit: but it seems like that code is already expired? (says it was posted 1 year ago, expires 12/31/08)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

tanks are good for hiding the post baby belly flab and keepign the belly warm in colder climates.

but I wanted to caution you not to buy too many things now b/c its a little hard to predict exactly what size you'll end up as. I gained 3 letter sizes and ended up needing sizes I'd never even heard of before. I know other women who only gained a cup or 2.

Instead, get a couple to tide you over, identify what you want and where to get it and buy a week or 2 after baby arrives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast