Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Definitely sugar cookies. The kids love them and they are so fun for everyone.

If I had a good recipe I'd share it but I'd have to say sugar cookies b/c they are fun to decorate!
    These are the best and easiest sugar cookies I have every tried. You MUST chill the dough AT LEAST one hour. Preferably overnight.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Bes...es/Detail.aspx
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    I make a thumbprint cookie with raspberry preserves in the middle that are completely addictive and delicious. So buttery...so good. I'll post the recipe later tonight when I get a free minute. I make dozens of these (along with my Dad's peanut brittle and fudge) every year.
    Hel-LOO? Waiting!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Honestly...it's pretty darn hard to mess up my cookie recipe. Give it a try and just watch your oven temp and cookie 'doneness'!
    Lol, well I have screwed up box mix before, if you can believe it. I did look over your recipe and was surprised with how few ingredients were involved and it seems straightforward! I'm going to give it a try! I'm a good cook, but just a horrible baker, I don't know what my deal is...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Hel-LOO? Waiting!
    I think u missed her post...

No nuts..here you go

3/4c softened butter
    1/2c sugar
    2 egg yolks

cream those together then add

1 3/4 c all purpose flour

preheat your oven to 375 and roll dough into 1in balls. If the dough gets too soft just stick it in the fridge for a few minutes. Make a well in the middle of each ball (I use a knuckle but you can use your thumb) and add about 1/2 tsp raspberry preserves to each cookie. Make sure you get preserves and not jelly/jam. If you don't like raspberry, just choose another flavor of preserves.

Bake 8-10 min or until the bottom of the cookie is golden brown. The top of the cookie may not catch any color, just tip a cookie back at 8 minutes to see where they are.

Enjoy. Do yourself a favor...double this recipe.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

For me? Cinnamon Mocha cut-outs for sure. For my kids? They'd probably choose chocolate chip.

Cinnamon-Mocha Cut-outs

2 Cups flour
    1 Teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 Teaspoon salt
    1/2 Cup butter
    3/4 Cup sugar
    1 Teaspoon instant coffee granules
    1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 squares baking chocolate, melted
    1 Teaspoon vanilla
    3/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    2 Tablespoons cold water

DOUGH PREP:
    Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Cream butter, sugar and coffee. Combine mixtures, then stir in remaining ingredients. Chill dough at least one hour. [Chilling is an absolute must!]

ROLLING & SHAPING:
    Remove small portion of dough, keeping remainder refrigerated. Roll portion out on lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into Christmas shapes.

Bake on lightly greased foil-covered sheets, at 350 to 400 degrees F., for 8 to 10 minutes.

FINISHING:
    Frost with almond, vanilla or coffee flavored frosting. Sprinkle before frosting sets with chocolate shavings, non-parallels, etc. if desired. Store when thoroughly dry in waxed paper layers in airtight containers to maintain crispness.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    I think u missed her post...
    Ooh! I did. I'm sorry. At store now getting ingredients for these for cookie wxchange tomorrow. Thank u!

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No nuts..here you go

3/4c softened butter
    1/2c sugar
    2 egg yolks

cream those together then add

1 3/4 c all purpose flour

preheat your oven to 375 and roll dough into 1in balls. If the dough gets too soft just stick it in the fridge for a few minutes. Make a well in the middle of each ball (I use a knuckle but you can use your thumb) and add about 1/2 tsp raspberry preserves to each cookie. Make sure you get preserves and not jelly/jam. If you don't like raspberry, just choose another flavor of preserves.

Bake 8-10 min or until the bottom of the cookie is golden brown. The top of the cookie may not catch any color, just tip a cookie back at 8 minutes to see where they are.

Enjoy. Do yourself a favor...double this recipe.
    Thank you! So you bake the cookie with the preserves? My old recipe had you fill the well after the fact (and you cooked the preserves a bit to make it runny).

Do the preserves every burn? I just don't want to screw these up.

Also do they freeze well?

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alien_host View Post
    Thank you! So you bake the cookie with the preserves? My old recipe had you fill the well after the fact (and you cooked the preserves a bit to make it runny).

Do the preserves every burn? I just don't want to screw these up.

Also do they freeze well?
    Yes..bake it with the preserves in the well and no, the preserves don't burn. I have never frozen them so can't say if they freeze well but I would assume they would be fine.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love making two of my grandma's recipes. Her parents ran a German bakery in Chicago and I assume these came from them. One is for pecan snowballs and the other is chocolate swirl cookies (choc and vanilla dough rolled into a log then sliced). I'm baking challenged and can make both of these with success. The swirls are a bit of a pain because you have to layer the two different doughs then refrigerate before slicing, but they are oh so good. I can post recipes later.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Yes..bake it with the preserves in the well and no, the preserves don't burn. I have never frozen them so can't say if they freeze well but I would assume they would be fine.
    Do I grease the sheet, use parchment paper, or leave it completely ungreased?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast