EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Children's Gravol?

DD has a tummy bug and is quite miserable. No vomiting for about 6 hours now, and she has a fever of between 99 and 100.3. Seems ok otherwise. She threw up once just after midnight, and then mostly bile around 5am. She is just miserable and keeps saying her tummy is sick. Has anybody used Children's Gravol for something like this?

TIA!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Nope, I don't believe in keeping the offending bugs "inside" if you will. I've also been told that by drs and ER dr's -- let the bug take its course. Obviously, if there is dehydration, that's different. However, with regular tummy bugs, I just let nature take its course.

If she is throwing up bile, you should probably take her to the ER, though. Until you get there, try to get as much pedialyte into her as possible.

Hope she's better soon!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I am just guessing it was bile - she coughed/gagged a fair bit and only produced maybe a couple of tablespoons of liquid. I later found some on a towel and it was yellowish. Would that be bile? She won't take the pedialyte popsicles, but did have a regular juice freezie-style popsicle earlier, which seems to have stayed down. She has peed this morning, too. She did just have a couple sips of water.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bile

On an empty stomach – after repeated vomiting, for example – a person's vomit may be green or dark yellow, and very bitter. The bitter and greenish component is bile.[citation needed] (The color of bile is often likened to "fresh-cut grass", but in a vomit it may be mixed with other components in the stomach to look greenish yellow or dark yellow.)

Its more green or greeny yellow, though I suppose it depends on how much they have vomitted, KWIM?

It sounds like she's turning the corner, though IME you REALLY need to hydrate her. Here at the ER, they have the parents push 5ml pedialyte every 5 min or every 15 min tops. We use a syringe. They won't drink it willingly from a cup or sippy (have you ever tried it, its disgusting!).

GL!
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My pedi always suggests:
    One tbsp of water every 10 mins til DC -- after 1 hr of DC keeping it down can increase to a cup etc. Pedialite or gatoraid is a good option once you know they keep down fluids.

I wouldn't give any meds.

If DC is not having wet diaper/pee every 3-4 hrs, call pedi.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

The Canadian recommendation is the opposite -- no water until they can keep down Pedialyte (which is recommended over Gastrolyte, which is for adults).
    Melissa

I have not been able to find actual, brand-name Pedialyte here. Each store seems to have its own store-brand name - I assume it is fine to use those? The frozen pops I have are from London Drugs, but DD tried one and will not have them. I might have to try the syringe. She will take water right now, so I am giving her sips of that every 5 min or so (no regular Pedialyte/Gatorade in the house).

Whew - this may be TMI, but she just passed gas and it was NASTY. I guess that is a sign it is moving through her system. I should probably pickup some GoodNights. Ugh. This could be a very unpleasant day.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/when...n&diarrhea.htm

Oral rehydration solutions
    An oral rehydration solution (ORS) is an exact mixture of water, salts and sugar. These solutions can be absorbed even when your child is vomiting. The key is to give small amounts of ORS often (for example, 1 teaspoon every 5 minutes), gradually increasing the amount until your child can drink normally.
    Oral rehydration solutions are available at pharmacies in ready-to-serve preparations, frozen popsicles and powders.
    Although powders are cheaper and easier to store, they have to be mixed very carefully to work properly. It is better to buy an ORS that has already been mixed.
    Oral rehydration solutions can be used to:
    • keep children well hydrated when their diarrhea is serious.
    • put back fluids when children show signs of mild dehydration.
    If you are breastfeeding, keep feeding on demand. You can also offer your child the foods he usually eats.
    If you are formula feeding, you don’t need to dilute the formula. Continue formula feeding, and offer your child the food he normally eats.
    If your child is not breastfeeding or formula feeding well, offer ORS as follows:
    For the first 4 hours
    • For babies 6 months and younger: give 30 to 90 mL (1 to 3 oz.) every hour.
    • At 6 to 24 months: give 90 to 125 mL (3 to 4 oz.) every hour.
    • Children over 2 years of age: give 125 to 250 mL (4 to 8 oz.) every hour.
    • If an infant refuses the ORS by the cup or bottle, give the solution using a medicine dropper, small teaspoon or frozen popsicles.
    • If a child vomits, you may need to stop giving food and drink. But continue to give the ORS using a spoon. Give 15 mL (1 tbsp.) every 10 min to 15 min until the vomiting stops. Increase the amounts gradually until your child is able to drink the regular amounts. If vomiting does not stop after 4 to 6 hours, take your child to the hospital.
    After 4 hours until 24 hours: Recovery stage
    • Keep giving your child the oral rehydration solution until diarrhea is less frequent.
    • When vomiting decreases (and depending on your child’s age), it is important to start your child breastfeeding as usual (or drinking formula or whole milk) or eating regular food in small, frequent feedings.
    After 24 to 48 hours, most children can resume their normal diet.
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by EllasMum View Post
    I have not been able to find actual, brand-name Pedialyte here. Each store seems to have its own store-brand name - I assume it is fine to use those? The frozen pops I have are from London Drugs, but DD tried one and will not have them. I might have to try the syringe. She will take water right now, so I am giving her sips of that every 5 min or so (no regular Pedialyte/Gatorade in the house).

Whew - this may be TMI, but she just passed gas and it was NASTY. I guess that is a sign it is moving through her system. I should probably pickup some GoodNights. Ugh. This could be a very unpleasant day.

Yup, the generic Pedialyte liquid or freezies is fine. FYI, LD will special order in Pedialyte for you (they've done it for me as my kids seem to slightly prefer the brand over the generic, though both taste horrible IMO).

Yeah, you might want to break out the pullups. If its rotovirus, the poop will be liquid (no joke) and seriously nasty. Like no other smell on the planet, its really horrible. That part can last for a week. Fun times.
    Melissa

Thanks for all the info. DD decided she was hungry for lunch, so I made her some plain white rice, and she gobbled it up. Also, she drank some water, and is MUCH better. I did get some GoodNights just in case, but looks like she is substantially better. Whew!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~