3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Bank of Montreal Money Transfer

Has anyone transferred money from the Bank of Montreal to an American bank account? I know that TD charges quite a bit for this and was curious to know if BOM was cheaper.

I've emailed their customer service, but I'm sure I won't hear back for awhile.

TIA!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think my dad pays about 18 dollars when he transfers, usually about 1k. A friend of mine got a money order from BOM I think it was 6.00 and it cost me nothing to cash at my bank here in the US.

3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks All. I was checking to see if it was cheaper then TD. We are just going to do TD to keep it simpler.

If you're doing a wire transfer I believe that all the banks charge the same amount. They also take the same length of time - it got much slower to do a wire transfer after 9/11. Now if you're talking money orders or certified cheques, that's a different story. I know my account (RBC) includes discounts for that (money orders are free w/my account), but some accounts that have fewer frills don't. So I image that'd depend from bank to bank too.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I also thought that if you transfer money from a Canadian Cdn$ bank account to a Canadian US$ bank account with the same bank that it was free, but I could be wrong on that. Transferring money between different institutions, regardless of the currency, is expensive in Canada and not even always possible.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011