Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alien_host View Post

For those with "sets" do you keep those segregated in separate storage containers so you can rebuild them over and over?

Thanks for the tips! I did see the green board at TRU, I'll pick that up this week...thanks for the reminder!

in the disposable Gladware type containers along with the instructions
    Last edited by bluestar2; 02-24-2010 at 01:43 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

At one time I sorted all the Legos by color and put them in lidded containers. I figured that'd make things easier if ds wanted to rebuild a set. But, he's never actually cared (well, maybe briefly a long time ago). Now, those bins are still full and the rest are just dumped together in big bins.

Beth

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    At one time I sorted all the Legos by color and put them in lidded containers. I figured that'd make things easier if ds wanted to rebuild a set. But, he's never actually cared (well, maybe briefly a long time ago). Now, those bins are still full and the rest are just dumped together in big bins.

Beth
    Growing up, we found it was easier to sort by size of block. It's very easy to pick out the red 2x4 block in a large group of 2x4 blocks compared to finding the red 2x4 block in jumble of red blocks.
    So we had a stash of 1x1s, a stash of 1x2s, a stash of 1x3 (I think) and then on that was all the rest of the 1xs. and then 2x2s, 2x3s, 2x4s, 2x6s, 2x8, and special blocks. People and stuff they held tended to go together. Windows and roof stuff. And then "special pieces" (All the little tiny things that come in various sets)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

I've seen some (older) kids who were Lego fanatics keep their roomful of Legos sorted by using the standing hardware bins with all the little clear or opaque drawers, separated like the PP mentioned. We don't have enough Legos for that but I thought it was very clever.

I think for DD's age you are better going with just the blocks. The theme sets, etc tend to be difficult to put together in my opinion for that age. I went to the lego store today and they did have the individual blocks where you can fill a cup up with whatever ones you choose. I think the large cup was $14.99. Not sure how many blocks you can fit in there. Also I noticed a set of 650 blocks for $29.99 which seemed like a great deal. You may probably about $19-$29 for themed sets containing 200-300 blocks. Good suggestion on the base by other posters. Also lego was selling a brick separator...I saw it at the checkout and had no idea what it was...it looks similiar to a lego but it helps kids easily pull the bricks apart. It was $2 and seemed like a good idea.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sometimes you need 2 brick separators (though in those cases theywill probably bring it to you to do)

And adults use brick separators toO!
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok now I'm thinking of having DD get DH a lego set for Christmas. He can build it with her and then the pieces can be communal but it allows her to pick something for him that they would enjoy together.

I was thinking they might like the beach house:

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4517443-L...899050&sr=1-12

is this a decent deal, I think I need to buy by tomorrow from Amazon to get it in time. Is it worth shopping around?

Any other sets I should consider (i.e. see if DD thinks it's good for DH ) DH does like cars.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with second hand from legitimate sellers. Last year we bought an obscene amount of duplos (think 3 large ikea trofast bins filled to the top) for about $50. This year for my son's birthday we bought 6 pounds of assorted legos (some stars wars stuff mixed in) for $35 with shipping. I then purchased a set of minifigs and another with windows/doors. All on ebay.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That $30 is fine for the beach house. I think I paid $30-35 for it at TRU. Btw TRU marks up the Lego sets. Ds1 had a set picked out and we were near TRU so we stopped to buy it. It was $5 more than the Lego catalog price. Target was selling it for the right price though. I have been paying attention since then and noticed that all of the the TRU sets are higher than the Lego catalog prices.

I think having your dd buy a set to build together is a fun idea. We often do that or bard games for presents from ds to dh.

The beach house is very neat.

Beth

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alien_host View Post
    Ok now I'm thinking of having DD get DH a lego set for Christmas. He can build it with her and then the pieces can be communal but it allows her to pick something for him that they would enjoy together.

I was thinking they might like the beach house:

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4517443-L...899050&sr=1-12

is this a decent deal, I think I need to buy by tomorrow from Amazon to get it in time. Is it worth shopping around?

Any other sets I should consider (i.e. see if DD thinks it's good for DH ) DH does like cars.
    Just an FYI - I got this set at Sam's for $21.xx a couple weeks ago. They may not have any left, but you can check the website and it will tell you if it is in stock in the local club.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast