Default Hawaii with 4 & 7 yos, need boosters in rental?

We'll be travelling to Hawaii with our 4 year old (43 lbs, 45 inches) and 7 year old (47 lbs, 49 inches). It seems that when we get there we should have them both in booster seats in the rental car. This is my first time flying with kids. I know we can't have them sit in the boosters in the plane. It looks like it costs $12/day to rent them from the car company. Should we take our own boosters and how do we check them on the plane? Do they count as baggage? (United Airlines)
    Thanks.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Take your own and check them. They do not count towards your baggage allocation. You have no idea in what condition the booster rentals will be in (they could have been in accidents, barfed on, etc.) or whether they will even be available when you get there.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

If you'll be doing a fair amount of driving, I'd take the seats they normally use. If you're only driving a short time (airport to hotel or something), I'd get a booster for the 4 year old and bring the 7 year old's booster.
    Kris

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We always take our own boosters (and previously carseats) (boys are 7 and 5).

Use large duffel bags. Pack each booster in a separate duffel bag and pad them with clothes. Then you can just pull them out as soon as you get to the car.

There's no guarantee that the rental place will even have a booster when you get there, even if you reserve it.

I would bring your own, with clear plastic bags to put them in to keep them clean and they do not count as baggage. Have fun!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bluestar2 View Post
    I would bring your own, with clear plastic bags to put them in to keep them clean and they do not count as baggage. Have fun!

Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Where are you going? If you are going to the Big Island and will be driving around a lot, I would take the 4 year old's car seat vs a booster. We did a booster for Sarah when she was 4 on Hawaii and I regretted it. We did a LOT of driving and she fell asleep several times.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)