Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

We did not have a PNP. We also did not have a bouncy chair or a swing so maybe not a typical set-up. There were a couple times when I wished we had one, mainly when we traveled, but we used the ones provided by hotel (after carefully inspecting them) and were glad to not lug around a huge box. DS slept in our room for the first 4.5 months in his crib. And also occasionally slept in his stroller on the first floor of our house. We got a lot of use of the baby carrier since DS loved being carried around.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

well if you register for one and get it as a gift you don't have to pay for it!! As long as they include a receipt you can return it if you end up not needing it....

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would say a pack n play is A LOT more useful and simplistic than a SuperYard.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We've used ours a lot. When mine were newborns, I used it as a safe place to set baby down or a place to change them on the main floor of our house (our bedrooms are upstairs). We use them now for beds when we travel or go camping. They are familiar with their pnps and are comfortable sleeping them.

If you don't think you'll use one, you might just want to skip buying one until the day you actually need it. Who knows, maybe you won't ever want/need one.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I didn't read through all the posts, but we do use our PNP a lot. We used it when DS was a newborn mainly as a changing table. We're expecting our DC 2 this spring, and I think it work well as a safe place to put baby while I use the bathroom or other things and can't watch the 2 yo. big brother!

How we've used it most is while visiting friends and family. We go away a lot in the summer to friends' and families' cottages, etc. and most of the time, they don't have an extra crib. We also take it with us instead of using hotel cribs, because many of them are old and unsafe. We even use it when going to friends' houses and we don't want to be home by DS's bedtime or pay a babysitter. We just take him with us and put him to bed there.

If you don't go away a lot, maybe it's not worth it. I do agree with a pp, though, that I'd say it's more useful than a superyard.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I thought we totally needed one, and the top of the line one with all the extras (sunshade, changing addition, bassinet addition), too. LOL. When we didn't receive it as a gift I went and bought it.

We hardly used it at all. I had visions of it being a downstairs resting place for Ds, putting him in it when we were outside (um, we are not outside people and didn't have a yard, I don't know why I suddenly thought we'd become them. LOL). I can see if you travel a lot or get lucky enough to have one of those babies that you put down to go to sleep, using it. However it was a big waste for us, I kept it through our second but we still didn't get much use out of it. With her we had the Amby so that got all the use.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

We had one with our first but back then they were just the simple ones without all the changing tables and bassinets. We used it as a place for her to hang out when we were in the living room so we didn't have to worry about her rolling off the sofa or crawling into something. We also took it with us to travel which was very handy at times. We did have a bouncy chair but I didn't like to leave her unattended in it, no swing though.

I'm planning on getting one with at least a changing table on it this time, as we now have two floors and I know from experience that I won't go to another room just to change diapers if I can help it! Plus now that I will have a 6 year old to watch too, I will definitely be needing that safe place to put him when I need my hands free.

I'd say only register if you think someone will buy it for you, and that it won't be at the cost of something you wanted more. I know I don't want to be hit with a $100+ expense right after the baby is born because I wanted to hold off and see, when I could have had someone else buy it for me earlier.

What I have found after two kids is that only a handful of items are "MUST" haves. Most make life more convenient but aren't required. That said, we use our PNP a bunch, especially when traveling, which is quite a bit so I am definetly glad we have one. A simple PNP will suffice and it doesn't need alot of bells and whistles.

I found ours at a the community yard sale, it was pretty much brand new and I only paid 40 dollars. So hands down it was well worth the money.

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We used ours a lot in the first 3 months or so because we have a bi-level home. I'm mostly downstairs so we used it as her bed. After that, we've used it as a travel bed since DD doesn't like to sleep with us. I purchased a mini-crib's mattress and use it with the PNP for use now.

But I would suggest buying a simple PNP. We bought one of the flashier ones and I don't see much need for the extras. The features I do like are: bassinet and canopy though.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a small apartment and did not need one. We used our bouncer or a blanket on the floor when we needed to set him down during waking hours and he napped in his crib, which shares our bedroom, or, more often when he was little, in our arms. If you have a larger house or travel more often than we do, I could see it being useful.
    Last edited by mousemom; 12-21-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast