Default Buying a Wii - what do I need?

Well, it took me awhile (and I know I'm going to be out on some good deals) but I've finally decided that Santa is going to bring our family a Wii for Christmas. So now my question is: what do you suggest I buy other than the basic console?

DH wants Mario Kart, I am somewhat interested in Rock Band and maybe some of the sporting/active games and Wii Fit. Do I need to buy an extra controller? Charging stations? There are so many things out there and I'm just not clear on what we need or will want to get started.

TIA!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I started one of the threads that the pp posted. We have the sports games that come with the Wii console, Wii Play bundle (you get an extra remote and games) and Mario Kart. Target was out of extra steering wheels when I initially bought Mario Kart so DS1 is getting it for Christmas. Mario Kart gets the most play at our house by far. DS and his friends play that one frequently. That will get you started nicely unless you just want to buy more now. I am debating getting the Winter Olympics game for DS1 for Christmas but he really doesn't need any more gifts.

Have fun with it! We've really enjoyed having it.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Thank you! Sorry I didn't do a little more searching first...obviously this has been a popular question in the past!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    Thank you! Sorry I didn't do a little more searching first...obviously this has been a popular question in the past!
    No problem, if you search for "wii" the search doesn't work, as 3 letters is too short for the search engine. I used "wiimote" and "nunchuck" to find these, plus I had posted in at least one of them. Have fun!

Games are personal preference (though Mario Kart has always been a blast) but definitely get a second controller. It's a shame that consoles no longer come with two.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

Ah, nunchuck... that's a good search term! Until I learned that you could search the boards via google, I always got frustrated by the inability to search for wii. I was searching on nintendo instead, which doesn't usually help much.

Of course, nunchuck doesn't help when people also call them numchucks. ;-)

DD is wanting a Wii and the skeeball game for the Wii. Is skeeball included in a package game like sports or is it its own game?
    Lyra 12/30/02 49", 65# in Literiders
    Cree 03/16/06 41.5", 39# in a PW and B510
    Nash 03/30/08 39.5", 36# FF in a MA65 and RN65

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought a Wii in target today -- $199 (like pretty much everyone else), but they gave a $30 target gift card with purchase, so it was the best deal i have seen.

Also, wii remotes with motion plus built-in are available now (something I had been looking for since a friend showed me wii sports resort game). The motion-plus integrated remotes are $49.99 list (whereas the wii remote is $39.99 list and the motion plus module is $19.99 list, so the integrated remote will often cost less). The stiky point, for me at least, is that normal wii remotes are white, but the motion plus integrated remote is black. It will bug me to have one white remote and 3 black ones. I may end up returning one of the black ones, and getting the wii play bundle (so we'll have 2 white regular remotes and 2 black motion plus ones just for balance).

Wii motion-plus remote is 47.99 on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-Wii-Remo...1017457&sr=8-1

Looks like the regular remote is currently $39.99 on Amazon, too.

And the motion plus add-on is 17.96
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Quote Originally Posted by westgre View Post
    DD is wanting a Wii and the skeeball game for the Wii. Is skeeball included in a package game like sports or is it its own game?
    We have a skeeball game. It is one of the mini games in the "Carnival" game. Here is a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Carnival-Games...1022420&sr=1-1

Pakin

DS 4/2001
    DD 6/2005