Default Egg Casserole without Bread??

Can you make an egg casserole that isn't a strata? I want eggs, sausage, cheese, and milk and then bake it. I would rather not use cream and half and half because that would just be wayyyy too rich for my taste.

But can you do that? Or am I just going to have to do a strata? If I do the strata, what bread do I use? I can go to the store and let the bread sit out to get stale--actually, how do I best "make" stale bread??

TIA!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I made this on Thanksgiving morning: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crustle...he/Detail.aspx. I made one with ham (instead of bacon) and one that was meatless but had extra cheese and carmelized onions. I think you could easily use sausage as the meat and omit the veggies. It does call for sour cream but you may be able to use milk and you definitely could use yogurt instead to lighten it up.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

this recipe is with hashbrowns ... want potato?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hash-Br...le/Detail.aspx

Default Overnight breakfast casserole

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    this recipe is with hashbrowns ... want potato?
    Overnight Breakfast Casserole

3 cups hash brown potatoes (I use 1 package of the refrigerated ones)
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 cup browned spicy sausage or ham
    1/4 cup sliced green onion
    4 beaten eggs
    1 1/2 cup evaporated milk (aka 12oz can)
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp salt

Grease 9x9 pan. Lay potatoes down first. Sprinkle with cheese. Sprinkle with sausage. Sprinkle with green onion. Combine eggs, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the potato mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove cover and place casserole in cold oven. Turn on oven to 350. Bake 40 to 55 minutes or until egg is set in the center.

This is really easy and excellent with a spicy sausage.

mskitty

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Can you make an egg casserole that isn't a strata? I want eggs, sausage, cheese, and milk and then bake it. I would rather not use cream and half and half because that would just be wayyyy too rich for my taste.

But can you do that? Or am I just going to have to do a strata? If I do the strata, what bread do I use? I can go to the store and let the bread sit out to get stale--actually, how do I best "make" stale bread??

TIA!
    I like stratas because they are easy. I normally just use a white bread..french, vienna, etc. I don't usually bother to make it stale. Here is the recipe I normally make. It was served to rave reviews at church this week.

Stuffed French Toast Strata

1 1pound load french bread (or any white bread)
    1 8oz package cream cheese cut into small cubes
    8 eggs
    2 1/2 cups milk or egg nog, etc.
    6 tablespoons melted butter
    1/4 cup real maple syrup

Grease 9x3 baking dish Cut loaf of bread into cubes. Place half of the cubes in dish. Top with cream cheese cubes, then remaining bread cubes.

Combine eggs, milk, butter and maple syrup. Pour over bread cubes. Cover with plastic wrap. Using a spatula, press down bread cubes until all are moistened. Refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 325. Remove plastic wrap. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center appears set and edges are golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with maple syrup or fruit syrup.

Hints: I normally buy a loaf of sliced bread to make it quicker to cube. This time I bought vienna because it was sliced. I normally split the cream cream cheese in half lenthwise, then cut each half into 4 strips creating 8 pencil like strips. I then chop them into pea size bites. I used egg nog this time for a holiday twist.

For stuffing and bread pudding, I do like "stale" bread. Normally I just cube up the bread the day before and just let it sit out getting stale spread out on a pan. More exposed surface area gets "stale" quicker.

mskitty

My mom makes a casserole we not-so-jokingly call Cholesterol In a Pan. It's our Christmas morning standby, and the kids even like the leftovers. It sounds similar to what you are looking for. It's a pretty vague recipe, but that's all I ever get from my mom. It's really forgiving, you can't really mess it up!

Spray a 9/13 pan with cooking spray. Layer in:
    1 lb grated cheddar
    1 lb grated jack
    bacon, ham sausage, diced bell pepper, or ? Any or all!
    Beat 5 -7 eggs, season to taste with spices (Salt, pepper, paprika, garlic or ?)
    Pour over cheeses.
    Bake at 350 40-45 minutes.
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I often us my normal quiche recipe just in and 8x8 glass pan, no crust. I add 2 extra eggs otherwise it is too flat. And I always use milk. Just eggs milk, onion, cheese, and meat usually.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think what you are looking for is a fritatta--a crustless quiche.

I make egg casserole with thinly-sliced potatoes. And I don't use cream ... I use whole milk. It comes out delicious!! Even my picky 17-month old loves it.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We make this. I'm copying and pasting from my files how it was written out for me...they are not my notes I'm not sure if the cream cheese makes it a no go for you. IMO it makes the dish but I'm sure you could omit.

-1lb ground beef
    -1lb ground sausage (i use HOT)
    -1 block cream cheese (8oz)
    -half an onion
    -half a green bell pepper
    -a carton of fresh mushrooms
    -a few eggs (2-8 based on preference)
    -shredded cheese (@2-4 cups, again preference)
    -Chalula hot sauce (optional of course)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Chop the veggies and get them sautéing in a large pot/pan in oil. Start with the GBP and onion so they aren't crunchy. They take longer to get soft. After the GBP starts to get soft throw in both of the meats and get them browned up almost done (toss in a little salt and pepper). Drain grease and return to pan. Put in block of cream cheese over low heat (to help melt) until thoroughly mixed. (This is where you can add some hot sauce of your choice to the mixture if you want or just wait and top it w/ hot sauce if you like it) Spread mixture into a well greased 9x13 pan. (for some reason I have not had good luck with PAM, the mixture still sticks to the glass. Butter seems to work better for me, but it is totally up to you.) I evenly spread out the meat mixture but don't pack it down too tight. In a separate bowl I beat up a few eggs (I would say 4 is a safe place to start if you don't like eggs, but you can use up to 6 or 7) and salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over meat mixture and then cover with your favorite shredded cheese. It cooks for about a half hour...you just need the eggs to cook.

** My note: You can omit mushrooms if you don't like them (I sometimes make one without mushrooms for my 5 year old who goes through phases of liking/not liking them).

I like this served w/ a nice fruit salad on the side.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010