Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Front Facing Carseat Installation

Hi,

I'm looking for car set installation advice. I have a 2008 Toyota Sienna. I'm currently trying to install a Radian80SL using the LATCH system into one of the middle captains chairs. The issue I'm having is similar to the one I've had with certain infant seats. When the Latch attachments are over-sized (giant plastic/metal clips with a button to unlock the latch attachment), one of the latches is always right next to the belt clip which holds the belt tight. Because the captain chairs are very shallow where the latches are, I can pull the belt so tight that the belt clip ends up right next to the Latch attachment. I can't pull the belt any tighter, but because the clip is right next to the Latch attchment, but you can wiggle the seat sideways 3 to 4 inches either way.

I noticed there are pads you can put at the base of the back of the seat for rear facing seats, but no one mentions anything for front facing seats. Am I the only one who has this problem? Do I just need to use towels until the seat sits up high enough I can pull the belt tight without the belt clip hitting the Latch clip?

Any other suggestions?

TIA,

grizzlymomma

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm not really following the problem. Are you installing with a seatbelt and the LATCH hooks are in the way? On my Radian, the LATCH hooks can be moved out of the way completely. Or, are you installing with LATCH? Whichever you're doing, can you try the other way?

You can't use towels, etc with a forward-facing seat.
    Kris

I am using just the LATCH system. I can try the seatbelt method, but I was hoping I could get the LATCH attachments to work.

Okay, what is the belt clip?
    Kris

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Please, no towels or pads! Yikes.

I think what you are saying is that the female end of the seatbelt is too "high" or long and prevents you from getting a solid install -- yes? You can twist the female end of the seatbelt up to three times to shorten it and you should be good to go.

FWIW, you shouldn't use both LATCH and the seatbelt unless your vehicle and child restraint manual both say so.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Please, no towels or pads! Yikes.

I think what you are saying is that the female end of the seatbelt is too "high" or long and prevents you from getting a solid install -- yes? You can twist the female end of the seatbelt up to three times to shorten it and you should be good to go.

FWIW, you shouldn't use both LATCH and the seatbelt unless your vehicle and child restraint manual both say so.
    She says she's just using LATCH. Otherwise, I'd think you were right on. I'm just confused
    Kris

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm guessing OP is possibly trying to use LATCH and belts. Which generally isn't allowed (though I believe new Fords are allowing it, though I don't know of any restraints that allow it).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I apologize for such bad terminology.

By belt clip, I mean adjuster...the piece that shortens the harness between the LATCH clips as you pull.

The adjuster ends up too close to one of the LATCH clips, and I can't pull the harness any tighter.

Maybe "belt clip" is referring to the latch adjustor- (I think its called that)- you know, the part that you pull on to shorten/lengthen the latch strap. Not sure if that makes any sense either though.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not sure if this will help, but when I first tried installing my Radian FF, I couldn't get the LATCH tight enough. Then I tried tightening it through the belt path and it worked much better! At least I think that's what I did -- I did it months ago and my seat is now RF so I can't go peek. I'm not sure if it was actually through the belt path -- it had to be angled towards the seating area of the Radian, rather than toward the car window, if that makes any sense. I think I moved the Radian cover out of the way a bit to achieve this.

Also, I got a much better install if I used the FF recline.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast