Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Working from home full time with 4 month old?

Hello,

My due date is in March. My original plan was for DH and I to take our leaves from work separately. I would take my leave (up until end of July) and then he would take his. Then we would put our baby in some sort of day care program. I really want to hold off on day care for as long as possible. Well we just found out that since DH has been at his company for less than a year, he only gets 5 days off.

My boss is very flexible/understanding and luckily I am able to work from home if I need to. Am I crazy for thinking that when my leave is up (end of July), that I can work from home AND take care of the baby? My work is sort of flexible too. If I have to, I can work 4 hours during the day and then another 4 hours after DH gets home from work. I'm a web-developer...as long as I get my projects done in time it doesn't really matter if a put in full 8 hour work day everyday.

I have no experience with babies (this is our first). How much work is a 4 month old? Is this possible to do? If this isn't possible we would put our baby in day care at the end of July. Ideally, I really would like to hold off on day care for as long as possible. Help! I'm clueless!!! haha.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Full-time? I say no way!!! I had a friend who worked part-time (25 hrs/week) with a 4-month-old, also working a very flexible schedule, and while it was do-able, it was HARD. You will also have NO time to yourself, on top of getting NO sleep. If it were me, I'd go crazy.

You can certainly try. Maybe you will be lucky and have a baby who rarely fusses.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would think at that age it is, but once they start to sleep less and be more mobile you'll need a mother's helper/relative so you can work. I've had friends pull it off beyond that stage, but IMHO, to the detriment of the child (lots and lots of TV or tears not understanding why mommy is *right there* but won't help). Also, in regards to the mommy's helper or relative coming later on in months, I would think it'd be hard if the little one can see/understand you are right there, but if you have somewhere somewhat separate you can go and not be seen/heard it's better. JMHO.

I think it would be hard but I totally understand the desire. If you have funds for a sitter, though, it would be easier, yet still keeping baby out of daycare longer.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No, it won't be possible.

A good option though would be to hire someone to nanny the baby in your home while you work - that way you could nurse them and do some childcare but would be free to concentrate on your work as needed.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for your honesty everyone!!

I never thought about the baby seeing me but me not being able to interact with him thing. Good point! I'll have to look into the nanny option too. My parents are still working and DH's mom is retired...but not good with babies (she won't be able to babysit full time)....so there won't be any relatives helping out.

This whole baby thing is a bit daunting. Thank goodness for this message board!!

rgors is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I think it would be impossible to work FT from home while simultaneously caring for a baby of any age, really.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you have any phone calls at all to make for work, it's very hard. I tried working PT at home with a baby and found it near impossible.

for Sandy Hook

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't be able to do it, and I'm somewhat of a web developer, too. My babies have both been high-needs, nursing every hour, not sleeping too well at night, etc. By the time my husband gets home I just want to sleep, not work, LOL!

Before I had my first, I thought I'd be able to continue working from home (technical writing), but it was clear after the first two weeks that it would be impossible. Maybe if I hired someone, but that doesn't help with the constant nursing and being deliriously exhausted from lack of sleep.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a friend that works from home sometimes. In order to ensure that her kids do not get upset that she is there but unavailable she gets ready as if she is going to work. She has a nanny who takes the kids to a different part of the house and then she comes back inside without them seeing her. She will then spend the time she is working in her office in the basement. Not sure how long she can keep it up because her 5 year old has recently started to question the fact that the car is in the driveway while Mommy is at work.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

I know I am super late to this, but I just wanted to say that I DID work from home full time as a document control manager starting when DS was 2 weeks old. It was EXTREMELY difficult, but if you make a plan and are able to be VERY flexible with work, then it can happen. I am not sure about doing when DC is older though- I left that job a few months later (DS was 2 months old when I quit) because we moved.

Good luck with your decision.
    ~Elle

DS1: 10/08 (the “tenager”)
    DS2: 07/18 (the wild one)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast