Default Airline travel...car seat?

We will be traveling with my 3 year old on a 6 hour flight to the caribbean. Once we are there, we will be renting a minivan. So, we need to bring a car seat or booster with us that we can use in the van. We have a marathon and a nautilus (currently used as a regular 5 pt car seat). She is almost 40 lbs and just under 40 inches.

Should we bring the marathon and use that on the plane and then in the van? or should we not use a car seat on the plane and bring the nautilus (just the booster) or some other booster that is easier to travel with? I've also seen the "portable car seat", the tote n go...is that a decent option for the van? I'd prefer to go light with having to carry the seat/check the seat/etc...but, I want her to be safe most of all! Any opinions? Thanks!!!

Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

You might have more luck getting responses on the Baby Bargains website, but one thought I have is that a Marathon might not fit in a seat on the plane. I have used a Roundabout on a plane, but I've been afraid to bring a Marathon and have it not fit. Of course, having the child in a car seat on the plane is safest and probably most comfortable for them, and you want to be sure to have a safe seat for travel when you reach your destination. A three-year old is pretty young for a booster seat. My oldest was three, almost four the first time we let her ride on a plane without a seat (since her baby sister had kicked her out of her Roundabout), and she did fine, but we had arranged for an appropriate car seat at our destination.

I hope other people will let you know their experiences.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I wouldn't put a 3 year old in just a booster.

The Marathon will fit on the plane. If you go to the baby section, there are tons of people who have done that and can help you out.

I'd probably bring the Marathon because it is so easy to install in vehicles.

Post here: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...splay.php?f=12 or do a search and I know there is info on flying with a MA.
    Kris

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

With a 3 year old, I would just do a CARES harness or the lapbelt on the plane and check the Marathon for the destination. I hated flying with my Blvd. That seat was enormous and a pain to travel with. I just checked it with my luggage after one nightmarish trip with it.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd take a car seat onto the plane. Marathons should fit -- I see them often -- they are heavy.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ariveraz View Post
    With a 3 year old, I would just do a CARES harness or the lapbelt on the plane and check the Marathon for the destination. I hated flying with my Blvd. That seat was enormous and a pain to travel with. I just checked it with my luggage after one nightmarish trip with it.

Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I agree with pp CARES would be ideal if you have one and DC is not too tall. AND if DC will not undo the latch. My DS #1 would undo the belt latch. UGG.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

luza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Don't forget to read the tips on installing car seats on a plane in the car seat section! I didn't the first time we traveled with a roundabout and we almost couldn't uninstall it at the end of the flight! I think the directions are in one of the sticky links; basically, you have to twist the belt so that it doesn't end up with the seat belt opening latch pressed against the seat, and there is a trick to tightening the extender belt so that the seat belt latch doesn't hit the corner of the seat.
    I traveled alone with DD, who is 5, on a 12 hour flight a few months ago and even though managing child, car seat, and two suitcases to and from the airport was hard, it was great having the car seat for her to nap in during the flight.

I've flown with my 3 year old and my Boulevard - it is a pain but I've seen airline cargo people toss car seats into their trucks/carts to get them to the airplane (they aren't supposed to but they do - my dad worked for an airline for years and saw it all the time and I have seen it personally). I absolutely refuse to send my car seat "under" for that reason. Other people may have had better luck but that's been my experience.

As for the actual travel, we've found that using the belt extender makes it much easier to fasten the seat in. It will still take awhile - and it will take longer to undo everything - you will be the last one off the plane. But then you will have your seat with you for sure. And my son was fairly comfortable for his 4 cross country flights in it (so far).

sjfin is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Ditto to those who say take it on the plane. Your child is used to the car seat, and it will make them high enough in the seat to look out the window.