Thread: Slate flooring?

Default Slate flooring?

Does anyone have any experience with redoing slate flooring?

Our foyer floor is covered with slate tiles and many of the tiles are starting to become loose and wobbly, and the grout between them is starting to crumble. The floor was likely put in when the house was built 30 years ago, and I'm sure we haven't done some sort of routine maintenance on it that should have been done (resealing?) in the ten years we've lived here. (No, seriously, are you supposed to do anything other than clean it on a regular basis?? I really don't know and never bothered to wonder until now!)

So I'm trying to figure out if all we have to do is chisel out the old grout and redo it, or if we have to rip up all the tiles too and put down some sort of new adhesive layer, or if we're in way, way over our heads and should hire someone to do it... DH and I are both relatively handy people, but neither of us has done any sort of tile work.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have one for you! . DH and I are looking at putting slate tile in our kitchen to replace the white ceramic tile that is cracking in there. Is it hard to clean your slate tile? Do you like it?
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Well, we have relatively smooth slate - it's my understanding that there are different levels of texture, but I know nothing about anything but what's in my foyer. I don't find it too difficult to get clean, and it's several different shades of gray-green, gray-blue, and something darker...but not quite black, so it hides dirt amazingly well. I vacuum it regularly and mop it less regularly - although in my research I've read that you're only supposed to use water, no cleaners...? (This could be maybe why we're having trouble with the tiles coming up and the grout crumbling?)

But it's our foyer, so it's stood up to a *ton* of abuse, melting snow, road salt, mud, etc. I think it would do equally well in a kitchen. Better than my hardwood kitchen floor, which is in desperate need of refinishing, I'm sure!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13