Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We had our DD in with a therapist in March for 3-4 sessions after my dad died. She was not handling it well. More of an anxiety issue than depression. Some people gave us a VERY hard time about taking a 5 year old to a therapist for something like that. It was one of the best things we could have done. We identified an issue, a therapist agreed, and we dealt with it quickly and effectively and moved on. I know there will be more issues as she grows up and I hope we're able to deal with all of them in the same way.
    Susanna 6/29/04
    James 6/15/10

Honestly, I don't think I know a single person with a totally clean genetic history. Unless there are really serious issues like multiple suicides or repeated hospital stays with multiple family members, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Just want to add that even if someone has an illness, most often, that person is still happy to be alive. Of course, if someone is in the depths of depression, that may not be the case at that particular moment...but hopefully with treatment, he/she will also be happy. That was my big realization. I was stressing over the what ifs, but then spoke with a very close relative who has bipolar, and what that person said really touched me. Yes, he has had a hard road, but he is still happy that his parents had him and he never blamed his parents for having him.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lilycat88 View Post

We had our DD in with a therapist in March for 3-4 sessions after my dad died. She was not handling it well. More of an anxiety issue than depression. Some people gave us a VERY hard time about taking a 5 year old to a therapist for something like that. It was one of the best things we could have done. We identified an issue, a therapist agreed, and we dealt with it quickly and effectively and moved on. I know there will be more issues as she grows up and I hope we're able to deal with all of them in the same way.
    Good call. 5 year olds can get depressed, but it can be dealt with very effectively. So, glad you brought her in.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3