Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tell me...are all down comforters the same?

I need ligt weight but enough to keep me warm when the temp in my room is 62 degrees! I am thinking medium warmth. I lov ethe duvet covers ta Pottery BArn! But where do I go for a great deal on a great quality comforter?????

Nope, not all are created equally. Bed, Bath & Beyond has a down comforter buying guide at this link:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sg_s...rs&SECTIONID=0

You want a high fill power (highest is 900), high thread count (just like regular sheets/blankets), and baffle box construction (to keep the down from clumping up). Cheap down comforters won't have the baffle box. White goose down is the highest quality down. Most down alternative just aren't as good as actual down, so if you want a really nice down comforter don't settle for an alternative! Really good down comforters should have a warrenty, also.

BBB always has those 20% off coupons that are helpful. I don't know if they have the best overall prices, though.

You can put anything inside a duvet cover, too. So if you don't want to shell out the money for a nice down comforter, you may be able to find a really warm regular comforter to put in the duvet.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

IKEA has nice ones. I don't think they're real down, but that's actually not a bad thing in terms of allergens & being able to wash them. I have had mine 10+ years.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

luza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

The Company Store has some nice ones in a wide range of weights, and gives a good explanation of the different options. I still use a CS duvet that I got more than 20 years ago. After many washings it is a little thinner than it used to be, but the stitching and fabric are still in great condition and it still keeps us warm.

I got a cheap IKEA comforter when ILs were visiting at the end of November and sleeping on our bed. It was certainly not as nice or warm as the real down comforter that we have on our bed. You get what you pay for so no surprise here. I think more expensive IKEA comforters are nicer though. Be sure to check high end department stores for sales, Overstock and Costco. I am fairly satisfied with the down pillows we got from Costco.
    Last edited by kozachka; 01-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Also, some down comforters "shed" more than others do. We had one for years that I think I originally bought at TJ Maxx and the dust in our bedroom was extraordinary. We bought a new one from Company Store last spring and it's made a difference that surprised me. I don't have to dust nearly as often (well, I still dust about the same amount, but it doesn't look as bad for as long now. )
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Definitely check the Company Store website. http://www.thecompanystore.com/stores.asp They make excellent down comforters. The problem with a lot of down products is that the ticking material (the material that lines the item) doesn't have a tight enough weave so the feathers leak out. This also happens when the stitching on the seams isn't tight enough. Your comforter can really lose a lot of volume if the ticking or the stitching isn't a quality job.

I worked at a dry cleaners in high school that specialized in cleaning down products. We were in the same city as the Company Store outlet center so we got a lot of their comforters in. We rarely had a problem cleaning their products. They always held up well. The threads would wear and weaken more quickly over time with other comforters and they would often leak out their down all over the place in the cleaning process. Just something to think about.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Another supporter of the company store. I just bought DS a crib comforter from there (down, but they have a good allergen free alternative) and it is very nice. He loves it.

The comforter on my bed is Eddie Bauer and it's also very nice.

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maylips View Post
    Also, some down comforters "shed" more than others do.

And price isn't necessarily an indicator. My super premium high thread count down comforter from Bloomingdales sheds miserably. Especially when it's used by an "active" sleeper, like DH was. My moderately priced one from Bed Bath & Beyond had no problems.

I've had so many friends and relatives who were pleased with Company Store products that I'd recommend them, even though I've not bought any myself. Yet. I'm waiting for the Bloomies comforter to finally lose all its feathers . . .
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I got mine from Eddie Bauer back when they had a home store. I think they're very good quality, and they might still sell just the comforters. ITA, that there can be a major quality difference.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast