Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mom2one is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What is for dinner tonight?

I am so in need of some ideas of things to cook for dinner. I made Rachel Rays Spicy Peanut Chicken from Mondays show Tuesday night, so good if anyone is looking for idea. She calls it make your own takeout. So a new day, fresh out ideas, thanks for any help.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Any old standby....this is easy because I always have these ingredients on hand. It's also easy to improvise on this one. I don't always have the seasoned tomatoes, so I'll use regular canned tomatoes and add Italian seasoning. And you can use any kind of pasta--it doesn't have to be shells. I've used rotini and penne (and whole wheat at that) and it still comes out fine. You just have to watch the liquid and may need to add/subtract a few minutes of cooking time.

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground sirloin beef
    • 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano, undrained
    • 1 can (8 oz each) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
    • 1 1/4 cups hot water
    • 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
    • 6 ounces dry large shell pasta, uncooked
    • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup = 2 oz)

Preparation

Hands On: 10 minutes
    Total: 30 minutes

1. Brown ground beef in large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.

2. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Bring to a boil.

3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, it's leftovers (from Sunday) that only I will be eating since DH will be at work and DD doesn't like it, but we had guests for brunch on Sunday and this was the best strata I've ever had. DD will have scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast, and fruit.

From smittenkitchen.com:

Spinach and Cheese Strata
    Adapted from Gourmet (sniffle), February 2003

Serves 6 to 8

1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeeze of all excess liquid, and chopped
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (1 large)
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    8 cups cubed French or Italian bread in 1-inch cubes (1/2 lb)
    6 ounces coarsely grated Gruyère (2 cups)
    2 ounces finely grated parmesan (1 cup)
    2 3/4 cups milk
    9 large eggs
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Sauté onion in butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg and continue cooking for one minute. Stir in spinach, remove from heat and set aside.

Spread one third of the bread cubes in a well-buttered 3-quart gratin dish or other ceramic baking dish. Top with one-third of bread cubes,one-third of spinach mixture and one-third of each cheese. Repeat layering twice with remaining bread, spinach and cheese.

Whisk eggs, milk, mustard and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl and pour evenly over strata. Cover with plastic wrap and chill strata for eat least 8 hours or up to a day.

The next day, let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 350°F. Bake strata, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Well, it's leftovers (from Sunday) that only I will be eating since DH will be at work and DD doesn't like it, but we had guests for brunch on Sunday and this was the best strata I've ever had. DD will have scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast, and fruit.

From smittenkitchen.com:

Spinach and Cheese Strata
    Adapted from Gourmet (sniffle), February 2003

Serves 6 to 8

1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeeze of all excess liquid, and chopped
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (1 large)
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    8 cups cubed French or Italian bread in 1-inch cubes (1/2 lb)
    6 ounces coarsely grated Gruyère (2 cups)
    2 ounces finely grated parmesan (1 cup)
    2 3/4 cups milk
    9 large eggs
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Sauté onion in butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg and continue cooking for one minute. Stir in spinach, remove from heat and set aside.

Spread one third of the bread cubes in a well-buttered 3-quart gratin dish or other ceramic baking dish. Top with one-third of bread cubes,one-third of spinach mixture and one-third of each cheese. Repeat layering twice with remaining bread, spinach and cheese.

Whisk eggs, milk, mustard and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl and pour evenly over strata. Cover with plastic wrap and chill strata for eat least 8 hours or up to a day.

The next day, let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 350°F. Bake strata, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
    I made this for our New Year's Day brunch! It was fabulous. I borrowed a bit from the Cook's Illustrated version (Spinach and Gruyere strata) -- used a combo of shallots and onion, sliced the bread instead of cubing it, used a bit more spinach (a 16 oz. bag). Yum yum yum.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sam's Club Pizza or CFA!

I'm doing OAMC- Family Favorites, cycle B today!
    The first batch lasted us just shy of 3 mos, so I'm psyched to cook today! The meals look tasty, and the housecleaner agreed to come Sat. morning once I've put everything away.

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post
    Any old standby....this is easy because I always have these ingredients on hand. It's also easy to improvise on this one. I don't always have the seasoned tomatoes, so I'll use regular canned tomatoes and add Italian seasoning. And you can use any kind of pasta--it doesn't have to be shells. I've used rotini and penne (and whole wheat at that) and it still comes out fine. You just have to watch the liquid and may need to add/subtract a few minutes of cooking time.

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground sirloin beef
    • 1 can (14.5 oz each) Hunt's Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano, undrained
    • 1 can (8 oz each) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
    • 1 1/4 cups hot water
    • 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
    • 6 ounces dry large shell pasta, uncooked
    • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup = 2 oz)

Preparation

Hands On: 10 minutes
    Total: 30 minutes

1. Brown ground beef in large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.

2. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Bring to a boil.

3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.

Ooooh, this sounds yummy and easy...I've been looking for some new recipes with ground beef. I feel like I'm always making meatloaf, haburgers, meatballs etc etc. Although DH just informed me last night that he doesnt love ground beef/pasta dishes. Still gonna try it though. I'll have to leave out the cheese (kosher) but I think it should still be good. What kind of frozen veggies do you put in?
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I'm doing OAMC- Family Favorites, cycle B today!
    The first batch lasted us just shy of 3 mos, so I'm psyched to cook today! The meals look tasty, and the housecleaner agreed to come Sat. morning once I've put everything away.
    What is this? My resolution for this year is to be better about cooking for our family and trying to do meal planning or cooking ahead. I am curious about how everyone does it.

Thanks!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

last night we had chicken noodle soup, beer bread, and a salad.

tonight I'm thinking maybe Salsa Chicken in the crickpot.

Chicken breasts, can of drained black beans, can of drained corn, jar of your favorite salsa. cook all day on low or half a day on high. Serve in bowls with garnish of shredded cheese and sour cream. or shred and mix together before serving with tortillas.

We're having leftovers of last night's dinner- not the healthiest, but a yummy comfort food for a cold night. Its kind of like shepherd's pie-

Ground beef (1-2 lbs)
    1 can mushroom soup
    1 can mushrooms
    3 Tbsp. soy sauce

1/2 bag potatoes- peeled and sliced in thin rounds
    1 medium onion- sliced in thin rounds
    salt
    pepper
    oil

Brown beef in skillet. Drain excess liquid. Add mushroom soup , mushrooms, and soy sauce and warm over medium flame.

Place sliced potatoes and onions into ziploc bag. Add a bit of oil (maybe 2 Tbsp?) and shake to coat. Add spices and shake to coat again.

Grease 9x13 pan. Place half of the potatoes/onions on the bottom. Add all the meat on top of that. Place rest of potatoes/onions on top. Sprinkle paprika (cuz it looks pretty ). Cover and bake at 400 for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 30 minutes.

DH loves this supper- he loves that the bottom potatoes are soft and gravy-y and the top ones are crispy.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Default dinner tonight & tomorrow

Today is spaghetti w/ Costco turkey meatballs and a side of canned corn.

Tomorrow, because we're getting low on "real" food, we're having breakfast for dinner. Waffles, sausage, and eggs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast