Default 5 Month Old Stuffy Nose and Stomach Sleeping

Hi:

My 5 month old boy has had stuffy nose for nearly 3 months. Doctor tells us that he does not have cold. Every night we clean his nose with saline solution but it gets worse by the morning. Two weeks ago he learned how to rollover from his back to stomach. He cannot roll back. We have caught him sleeping on his stomach in the last week or so. We have tried stopping him from rolling over with a sleep positioner but it is not working. Should we be concerned about him sleeping on his stomach espcially with a stuffy nose.

Thanks

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would think the belly would be better than the back because the mucus will stand less of a chance of gagging him from that angel.

Have you tried putting pillows under his crib to elevate it some? Are you using a humidifier?

Beth

Default Re: Answers

We did put some books under his bed to elevate his head.
    We are also running a humidifier.
    Today we installed a breathable bumper.
    I hope he can learn to roll from his stomach to back soon so his night time sleeping is not stressful for us.

Ever since we changed his formula to Similac Sensitive he has had a stuffy nose and he does not have cold. Today we have switched to Similac Organic to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I would think the belly would be better than the back because the mucus will stand less of a chance of gagging him from that angel.

Have you tried putting pillows under his crib to elevate it some? Are you using a humidifier?

Beth
    Last edited by hehateme; 01-10-2010 at 11:27 PM.

I read somewhere, and it seems to be true for our baby, that lying on the tummy can help the baby push the mucus out of the nose.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

We had the same issue with DS when he was about that age. He would roll onto his stomach every night but wasn't able to roll back. We tried everything but we couldn't stop him from rolling onto his tummy. All we could do was make sure we always placed him on his back. On top of that the only way he would go to sleep was swaddled (arms inside). We tried leaving his arms out but then he took forever to fall asleep since he couldn't settle down. He did wake up several time crying cause he couldn't go back onto his back and we had to turn him onto his back everytime he woke up. It took a couple of months but he finally figured out how to roll back. Guess I wasn't of much help but just wanted to metion that there was nothing much we could do about it.
    DS - '08