bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default ground beef in the crockpot?

DH bought ground beef instead of ground chicken/turkey. I don't really like beef in general and ground beef makes me queasy.

Any good recipes for ground beef in the crockpot that do NOT call for pre-browning the meat?? TIA!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The problem with ground beef in the crock pot, IMO, is it really, really, needs to be drained for most recipes. While I do not brown most meats for the crock pot, I do ground beef otherwise I think it comes out kind of gross. JMO.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I agree with Beth. One g.b. recipe I make in the crock pot is meatloaf and I make a "bed" of aluminum foil so it's raised and can drain. I make sure it's at least an inch inch high and has crevices to drain through.

Hth.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    The problem with ground beef in the crock pot, IMO, is it really, really, needs to be drained for most recipes. While I do not brown most meats for the crock pot, I do ground beef otherwise I think it comes out kind of gross. JMO.
    I agree, too. Chili comes out really well in the crockpot, but I always brown the meat first, even if I'm using the leanest beef, because even if what it releases is mostly moisture and little fat, it tends to make liquid.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

One g.b. recipe I make in the crock pot is meatloaf and I make a "bed" of aluminum foil so it's raised and can drain
    Oh that's a really good idea!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)