Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Softener

Default Fabric Softener

Would someone please inform me of the health hazards of using fabric softener sheets? I've been line-drying the baby's clothes, but the burp cloths are taking forever to dry! Should I just stick them in the dryer (without the fabric softener)? Also, since most baby clothes are made of cotton, will they shrink if I put them in the dryer? How do you wash and dry your baby's stuff (clothes, towels, burp cloths)? At this point, I feel like I'm going to be stuck doing laundry all day!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm not up on the specific risks of FS, but I do choose not use it. My girls had major reflux and we were washing and drying loads every day. I always use the dryer and just line dry any special clothes and babylegs. There will be some slight shrinkage but it wasn't a problem for us. I would definitely use the dryer for burp cloths and towels if you want to still hang dry the other clothes. I do like to use dryer balls in lieu of dryer sheets.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They coat the clothing with chemicals. Not something I want next to my baby's skin, kwim? Also, it can make the burp cloths less absorbent.

Vinegar in the washing machine instead of fabric softener works well. Dryer balls are ok too. Once you go w/o fabric softener for a tiny bit though you get used to it. I haven't used fs in years.

I put pretty much everything in the dryer.

Beth

Thanks so much for the helpful information, ladies! I'm going to stick the burp cloths in the dryer, but I think I'll hang baby's clothes for now. Definitely going to try the vinegar, and maybe the dryer balls, too. By the way, do you do all the laundry together (baby's and DH's) or separately?

In order to avoid doing the laundry everyday, I was thinking about keeping the baby's dirty clothes in a pail of Oxiclean until I decide to do a load. What do you think? Will it make the colors fade? Would it get too gross?

Question about the vinegar: how much do I put in per load? Thanks!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I use about a 1/4 cup of vinegar but I am totally guessing. I think it is fine to wash clothes together (mom's, dad's and baby's) as long as you are using scent-free, dye-free detergent. IME, it's ok to leave stuff for a couple days in the winter but if it is hot in the summer, you might have issues with mildew on anything left wet. Not sure about Oxiclean....but as long as you don't stuff the wet stuff down in the bottom of the hamper you may be ok.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I do all the laundry together. Too much of a hassle to wait for full loads otherwise. Plus, when ds was a baby he would usual either spit up or explode out of his diaper, getting us both and some other things in the process. So, it'd all get washed asap.

I think it'd get kind of gross in there if you have biological waste on any of it/ Imagine sticking your hand in cold, slimy water with gross bits floating around? Nah, just wash it with whatever else is dirty. Use some sort of free and clear or natural detergent and do it all together.

I can never remember the vinegar amount. If you have one of those old school Downy balls that go in the washing machine I think you fill them the same. Hopefully someone versed in vinegar use will chime in.

Beth

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I never used fabric softener or dryer sheets until I met DH, and I use them now only for him. I don't use thme when I do a load that contains DD's stuff. The only thing I really notice that feels different without fabric softener are the bath towels.

I recall reading that fabric softener and dryer sheets can ruin the fire retardant clothing on kids' clothes
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Do you still use bleach? My DH wears plain white t-shirts under his dress shirts everyday, so we always use bleach on whites. I'm pretty sure bleach must be as bad as (if not worse than) fabric softeners. Do you think it's okay to run the dryer with burp cloths and bleached white t-shirts (washed separately)?

Also, is it safe to do a load of laundry with bleach, and then wash the baby's clothes in the washer? There must be some bleach residue... Maybe I should wash a load of our clothes before putting the baby's stuff in there?

Thank you for all your advice! Who knew laundry could be so complicated?

Bleach can weaken clothing fibers. It's also not good to use bleach if you have a septic tank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast