Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just made this soup tonight for dinner...no real recipe...just winged it

2 cans tomato basil soup
    1 can diced tomatoes in sauce
    added some chicken stock
    added some dried basil
    about 1lb cooked shrimp cut into bite-sized pieces
    about 1.5 cups of cooked pasta (I used mini penne)
    some frozen peas
    sprinkled red pepper flakes for a little kick

It came out really good! I think next time I may add some roasted asparagus to it.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by missym View Post
    That sounds really similar to one of our favorite recipes - Chicken Taco Soup. It's especially good on cold winter nights.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Co...up/Detail.aspx
    This looks great, and since I'm not good at winging it, am saving this recipe. Do you drain the beans? It notes that the corn should be drained, but doesn't say for the beans. I've always drained and rinsed beans since that liquid is so salty, but I don't know if in this recipe it's supposed to contribute to the broth. TIA!
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I've been on a major soup kick lately. Here are a couple that I've been making a lot:

White Chili

* 1 onion, chopped (i used a red onion)
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 2 cans Rotel (Hot)
    * 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
    * 2 (4 oz) cans of canned chopped green chile peppers (preferably Hatch's Hot)
    * 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
    * 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
    * Ground cayenne pepper to taste
    * Ground white pepper to taste
    * 3 (15 oz) cans of white beans
    * 5 C of chicken broth

Brown meat and add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on high for no less than 3 hours. Top with a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese and eat with tortilla chips or tortilla shells.

*note...be VERY careful with the seasonings...it can get really spicy really easily...I actually use regular rotel and mild green chiles and add spice through the cayenne and white pepper. I like it hot, but if I make it TOO hot, DS won't eat it!

PW's Cauliflower Soup

Ingredients

• 1 stick Butter
    • ½ whole Onion, Finely Diced
    • 1 whole Carrot Finely Diced
    • 1 stalk Celery, Finely Diced
    • 1 whole (to 2 Whole) Cauliflower Heads (roughly Chopped)
    • 2 Tablespoons Fresh Or Dried Parsley (chopped)
    • 2 quarts Low-sodium Chicken Broth Or Stock
    • 6 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
    • 2 cups Whole Milk
    • 1 cup Half-and-half
    • 2 teaspoons To 4 Teaspoons Salt, To Taste
    • 1 cup (heaping) Sour Cream, Room Temperature

Preparation Instructions

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, or until it starts to turn brown. Add the carrots and celery and cook an additional couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock or broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
    In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Mix the flour with the milk and whisk to combine. Add flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half-and-half. Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
    Just before serving, place the sour cream in a serving bowl or soup tureen. Add two to three ladles of hot soup into the tureen and stir to combine with the sour cream. Pour in remaining soup and stir.
    Serve immediately.

*I use my stick blender to puree this one up a bit, both because it makes it more creamy and because DS doesn't like it too chunky.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2